Dipole antenna and electromagnetic waves

In summary, a dipole antenna is a type of antenna that consists of two conductive elements connected at the center and fed with a radio frequency signal. It works by converting electrical energy into electromagnetic waves and vice versa. The difference between a half-wave dipole and a quarter-wave dipole antenna lies in their lengths and efficiency. The performance of a dipole antenna can be measured by its radiation pattern, gain, and impedance. Common applications of dipole antennas include broadcasting, wireless communication, radar, and amateur radio.
aChordate

Homework Statement

photo(1).jpg

Homework Equations

photo(2).jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

see last attachment

I am not sure if I used the right equations or not.

Physics news on Phys.org
aChordate said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 60162

Homework Equations

View attachment 60163

The Attempt at a Solution

see last attachment

I am not sure if I used the right equations or not.

I think you are using the right equations as far as I've read. The electric energy density is equal to the magnetic energy density, etc. But isn't your value for ##\epsilon_0## way off? You've got completely the wrong exponent.

Related to Dipole antenna and electromagnetic waves

1. What is a dipole antenna?

A dipole antenna is a type of antenna that is commonly used for transmitting and receiving electromagnetic waves. It consists of two conductive elements, typically metal rods, that are connected at the center and fed with a radio frequency signal. The length of the rods is typically half the wavelength of the radio frequency being used.

2. How does a dipole antenna work?

A dipole antenna works by converting electrical energy into electromagnetic waves and vice versa. When a radio frequency signal is applied to the antenna, it causes the electrons in the conductive elements to move back and forth, creating an electromagnetic field. This field radiates outwards, propagating the electromagnetic waves through space. In the same way, when electromagnetic waves from other sources encounter the antenna, they induce an electrical current in the conductive elements, which can then be received and amplified.

3. What is the difference between a half-wave dipole and a quarter-wave dipole antenna?

A half-wave dipole antenna has a length that is equal to half the wavelength of the radio frequency being used, while a quarter-wave dipole antenna has a length that is equal to a quarter of the wavelength. The main difference between the two is that a half-wave dipole has a higher radiation resistance and therefore is more efficient in transmitting and receiving electromagnetic waves. However, a quarter-wave dipole can be easier to construct and can be used in certain applications where space is limited.

4. How is the performance of a dipole antenna measured?

The performance of a dipole antenna can be measured by several parameters, including its radiation pattern, gain, and impedance. The radiation pattern describes the direction and strength of the electromagnetic waves that the antenna radiates or receives. The gain is a measure of the antenna's ability to focus the electromagnetic waves in a specific direction, while the impedance is the ratio of the voltage and current at the antenna's feed point.

5. What are some common applications of dipole antennas?

Dipole antennas are used in a wide range of applications, including radio and television broadcasting, wireless communication systems, radar systems, and satellite communication. They are also commonly used in amateur radio and ham radio operations. Their simple design, low cost, and efficient performance make them a popular choice for many wireless communication needs.