Dipole moment of non-uniform surface charged sphere

In summary, to find the dipole moment of a non-uniform surface charge distribution on a sphere of radius a, you integrate the surface charge distribution from zero to a, using the z component of the position vector.
meteorologist1
I'm trying to find the dipole moment of a non-uniform surface charge distribution on a sphere of radius a:

The surface charge distribution is:
[tex] \sigma = \sigma_{0} cos \theta [/tex]
where theta is the polar angle.

Here is what I did:
[tex] \vec{p} = \int\vec{r}\sigma dA [/tex]
[tex] = \int r \sigma_{0} cos \theta (2\pi r dr d\theta) [/tex]

and I'm thinking r should be integrated from 0 to a and theta integrated from -pi/2 to pi/2, but I'm not sure. Please help; thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hold on.
What is the surface element in spherical coordinates??

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
Hold on.
What is the surface element in spherical coordinates??

Daniel.

Ok I see. Should I use: [tex] r dr d\theta [/tex] ?

dA is not [itex] 2 \pi r dr d \theta [/itex], how could the surface element depend on r ?

try [tex] dA = 2 \pi R^2 sin \theta d \theta [/tex]
and go do some reading on 3D integral

vincentchan said:
dA is not [itex] 2 \pi r dr d \theta [/itex], how could the surface element depend on r ?

try [tex] dA = 2 \pi R^2 sin \theta d \theta [/tex]
and go do some reading on 3D integral

I get 0 for the answer if I do it like you said:

[tex] \int a \sigma_{0} cos\theta (2\pi a^2 sin\theta d\theta) [/tex]
[tex] = 2\pi a^3 \sigma_{0} \int sin\theta cos\theta d\theta = 0 [/tex] theta ranges from -pi/2 to pi/2

people measure theta from 0 to pi

if your question define theta like you said, you will get zero anyway because the surface charge is symmetric...(save you some time to do the integral)

meteorologist1 said:
I get 0 for the answer if I do it like you said:

[tex] \int a \sigma_{0} cos\theta (2\pi a^2 sin\theta d\theta) [/tex]
[tex] = 2\pi a^3 \sigma_{0} \int sin\theta cos\theta d\theta = 0 [/tex] theta ranges from -pi/2 to pi/2

You miss the z component of the position vector from your integrand and you have to integral from 0 to pi. Theta is the angle of the position vector with respect to the z axis.

[tex] p_z=\int_{0}^{\pi}{\sigma* z* dA } = \int_{0}^{\pi}{(\sigma_0 \cos{\theta})*(acos{\theta})*(2\pi a^2 \sin{\theta}d\theta)}[/tex]

ehild

may you explain it. I didn't get why z component is here.

Majid said:
may you explain it. I didn't get why z component is here.
Remember the definition of dipole moment.

[tex] \vec{p} = \int {\sigma \vec{r} dA }[/tex]

Because of symmetry, the dipole moment has got only z component here. The z component of the eq. above is:

[tex] p_z = \int {\sigma z dA}[/tex]

ehild

ok, thank you.

Related to Dipole moment of non-uniform surface charged sphere

1. What is a dipole moment of a non-uniform surface charged sphere?

The dipole moment of a non-uniform surface charged sphere is a measure of the distribution of the surface charge on the sphere. It is the product of the magnitude of the charge and the distance between the centers of positive and negative charge distributions. It is a vector quantity that indicates the strength and direction of the electric dipole of the sphere.

2. How is the dipole moment of a non-uniform surface charged sphere calculated?

The dipole moment of a non-uniform surface charged sphere is calculated by summing up the products of the charge density and the corresponding distance from the center of the sphere. This can be done by integrating the charge distribution function over the entire surface of the sphere.

3. What factors affect the dipole moment of a non-uniform surface charged sphere?

The dipole moment of a non-uniform surface charged sphere is affected by the magnitude and distribution of the surface charge, as well as the shape and size of the sphere. Non-uniformity in the charge distribution can also impact the dipole moment.

4. How does the dipole moment of a non-uniform surface charged sphere relate to its electric field?

The dipole moment of a non-uniform surface charged sphere is directly proportional to the strength of its electric field. This means that as the dipole moment increases, so does the strength of the electric field around the sphere.

5. What is the significance of the dipole moment of a non-uniform surface charged sphere in physics?

The dipole moment of a non-uniform surface charged sphere is an important concept in electromagnetism and has significant applications in physics. It helps to explain the behavior of electric fields and the interaction between charged particles. It is also used in the study of molecules and their polarities.