1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dirac delta

1. Sep 25, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    How would one show that dirac delta is the limit of the normal distribution?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dirac_delta
    using the definition [tex] \delta(k) = 1/(2\pi)\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}e^{ikx}dx [/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Last edited: Sep 26, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2007 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Equality for distributions is defined pointwise. You just have to prove you get the same value if you convolve either one with a test function. I.E. for any test function f, you have to prove

[tex]
    \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} \delta(k) f(k) \, dk
    =
    \frac{1}{2\pi} \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}
    e^{ikx} f(k) \, dk \, dx
    [/tex]

4. Sep 26, 2007 #3

Avodyne

Science Advisor

One way (not so rigorous mathematically) to define the delta function is that it is a function that satisfies [tex]\delta(x)=0[/tex] if [tex]x\ne 0[/tex], and [tex]\textstyle \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}dx\;\delta(x)=1.[/tex] So you need to show (1) that the limit of the normal distribution has these properties, and (2) that [tex]\textstyle{1\over2\pi}\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}dk\;e^{ikx}[/tex] has these properties. Part (1) is easy. Amusingly, the easiest way to do part (2) is to define it by inserting a convergence factor of [tex]\exp(-\epsilon^2 k^2/2)[/tex] into the integrand, which turns it into a normal distribution that becomes a delta function in the limit [tex]\epsilon\to 0.[/tex]

5. Sep 26, 2007 #4

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh, hah, I misread the problem. I thought the equation the OP posted was the equation he wanted to prove.

The idea is the same, though. For a distribution F(_) and a family of distributions G(_, y), to prove

[tex]
    F(x) = \lim_{y \rightarrow 0} G(x, y)
    [/tex]

you have to show

[tex]
    \int F(x) f(x) \, dx = \lim_{y \rightarrow 0} \int G(x, y) f(x) \, dx
    [/tex]

6. Sep 26, 2007 #5
    Can I choose any f(x)?

7. Sep 26, 2007 #6

Avodyne

Science Advisor

It has to be infinitely differentiable, or something like that (not up on my rigorous defs, sorry), but otherwise yes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?