Dirac equation with gamma_5 mass term?

In summary, during their research, the speaker derived a modified Dirac equation with a \gamma_{5} mass term. After asking for input, it was determined that this equation is not new and has been studied by Sakurai in the context of parity violation. The speaker also requested any relevant sources and comments on the equation. Through further discussion, it was shown that the equation is actually equivalent to the Dirac equation and that the transformation is a "chiral rotation" with no physical significance in QED.
Hyperreality
During my research a while ago, I have unexpectedly derived a "modified Dirac equation" with a [tex]\gamma_{5}[/tex] mass term.

[tex]
(\gamma^{\mu}\partial_{\mu}+\gamma^{5}m)\psi(x)=0
[/tex]

I was quite surprised, and went about asking a few people. The answer I got is this equation is not new and has been studied by Sakurai in the context of parity violation. Can anyone lead me to some relevant sources? Of course any comment is helpful.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hyperreality said:
During my research a while ago, I have unexpectedly derived a "modified Dirac equation" with a [tex]\gamma_{5}[/tex] mass term.

[tex]
(\gamma^{\mu}\partial_{\mu}+\gamma^{5}m)\psi(x)=0
[/tex]

What is the relationship between your [itex]\psi (x)[/itex] and the [itex]\Psi(x)[/itex] in Dirac's equation

[tex]( i \gamma^{\mu}\partial_{\mu} - m ) \Psi (x) = 0 \ \ ?[/tex]

Clearly they can not be the same.

sam

Your equation is actually equivalent to the Dirac equation. To see this, define a new field [itex]\Psi(x)[/itex] via [itex]\psi(x)=\exp(i\alpha\gamma_5)\Psi(x)[/itex], where [itex]\alpha[/itex] is a real parameter (specified later). Then, multiply your equation by [itex]i\exp(i\alpha\gamma_5)[/itex]. Now we have
[tex]ie^{i\alpha\gamma_5}\gamma^{\mu}e^{i\alpha\gamma_5}\partial_{\mu}\Psi+ie^{i\alpha\gamma_5}\gamma_{5} e^{i\alpha\gamma_5}m\Psi=0.[/tex]
Since [itex]\gamma_5[/itex] anitcommutes with [itex]\gamma^\mu[/itex], we have [tex]e^{i\alpha\gamma_5}\gamma^{\mu}=\gamma^\mu e^{-i\alpha\gamma_5}[/tex], while we also have [tex]e^{i\alpha\gamma_5}\gamma_5=\gamma_5 e^{i\alpha\gamma_5}[/tex]. This allows us to simplify the equation to
[tex]i\gamma^{\mu}\partial_{\mu}\Psi+i\gamma_{5} e^{2i\alpha\gamma_5}m\Psi=0.[/tex]
Since [itex]\gamma_5^2=1[/itex], we also have
[tex]e^{2i\alpha\gamma_5}=\cos(2\alpha)+i\sin(2\alpha)\gamma_5.[/tex]
If we now choose [itex]\alpha=\pi/4[/itex], we get
[tex]e^{2i\alpha\gamma_5}=i\gamma_5.[/tex]
For this choice of [itex]\alpha[/itex], the equation becomes
[tex]i\gamma^{\mu}\partial_{\mu}\Psi-m\Psi=0,[/tex]
which is the usual Dirac equation.

Thanks Avodyne, this is very nice indeed. I recall seeing such a gauge transformation involving [tex]\gamma_{5}[/tex] somewhere.

Are there any physical significance to such a transformation?

Not really, its just a straight forward field redefinition, consistent with the gauge symmetries of the system..

Is it a useful gauge to see anything nontrivial about the system? I don't know, its not apparent to me.

This transformation is a "chiral rotation". It has no physical significance in QED. In QCD, it would change the vacuum angle. This is discussed in a number of books, e.g., Srednicki.

Related to Dirac equation with gamma_5 mass term?

1. What is the Dirac equation with gamma_5 mass term?

The Dirac equation with gamma_5 mass term is a mathematical representation of the behavior of spin-1/2 particles, such as electrons, in quantum mechanics. It is an extension of the Dirac equation, which describes the behavior of spin-1/2 particles in the absence of a mass term.

2. How does the gamma_5 mass term change the Dirac equation?

The gamma_5 mass term introduces a new term into the Dirac equation, which modifies the behavior of spin-1/2 particles. It is used to describe the mass of these particles, and also contributes to the spin and parity properties.

3. What is the significance of the gamma_5 mass term in the Dirac equation?

The gamma_5 mass term is significant because it allows for the description of massless particles, such as photons, in addition to massive particles. It also has implications for the behavior of these particles under certain transformations, such as charge conjugation.

4. How is the gamma_5 mass term related to chiral symmetry breaking?

The gamma_5 mass term is related to chiral symmetry breaking, which is a phenomenon in particle physics where the symmetry between left- and right-handed particles is broken. The presence of the gamma_5 mass term can lead to chiral symmetry breaking, which has important implications for the mass and behavior of particles.

5. What are some applications of the Dirac equation with gamma_5 mass term?

The Dirac equation with gamma_5 mass term has many applications in particle physics, including in the study of high-energy collisions and the behavior of particles in strong electromagnetic fields. It is also used in the development of theories such as the Standard Model and in the search for new physics beyond the Standard Model.