Exploring Direct Sums of Lorentz Group Representations

In summary, the conversation discusses the representation of the Lorentz group and its double-cover, and how the complexified Lie algebra plays a role in defining these representations. The article mentions that representations with m ≠ n are relevant to physics because they allow for the use of linear operators over real numbers. The conversation also explores the idea of symmetric sums and whether there is always a change of basis to make the components of these representations all real numbers. This is relevant when discussing spinors and their properties, which are important in constructing a framework for a quantum field theory of fermions.
tomdodd4598
Hey there,

I've suddenly found myself trying to learn about the Lorentz group and its representations, or really the representations of its double-cover. I have now got to the stage where the 'complexified' Lie algebra is being explored, linear combinations of the generators of the rotations and boosts have been defined, and the pairs of eigenvalues (m,n) of these linear combinations label the representations, where m and n are half-integers.

Now, all of this I think is fine (maybe I have some of the details wrong), but I've read something that has confused me a little on the Wikipedia article:
"Since for any irreducible representation for which m ≠ n it is essential to operate over the field of complex numbers, the direct sum of representations (m, n) and (n, m) have particular relevance to physics, since it permits to use linear operators over real numbers."

Could someone explain this in a little more detail? In particular, why do the irreducible representations for which m ≠ n not have relevance to physics, such as the (0, ½) or (½, 0)?

Physics news on Phys.org
tomdodd4598 said:
why do the irreducible representations for which m ≠ n not have relevance to physics, such as the (0, ½) or (½, 0)?

The article doesn't say irreducible representations with ##m \neq n## do not have any relevance for physics. In the paragraph just above the one you quoted, it gives a possible physical interpretation of ##(0, \frac{1}{2})## and ##(\frac{1}{2}, 0)## (though not one we're likely to find in experiments any time soon given the current LHC results).

What the article says is that the direct sum representations ##(m, n) \oplus (n, m)##, for ##m \neq n##, have particular relevance for physics (i.e., get used a lot), because you can avoid complex numbers--in other words, the things that transform under these representations can have components that are all real numbers, which is nice if you want those components to describe things you can physically observe.

PeterDonis said:
What the article says is that the direct sum representations ##(m, n) \oplus (n, m)##, for ##m \neq n##, have particular relevance for physics (i.e., get used a lot), because you can avoid complex numbers--in other words, the things that transform under these representations can have components that are all real numbers, which is nice if you want those components to describe things you can physically observe.

Ah, ok, so I just misunderstood that part - thanks. One last thing, hopefully: you say these symmetric sums, such as ##(\frac{1}{2}, 0) \oplus (0, \frac{1}{2})##, can act on vectors which are composed of real numbers. Very often I see bispinors with complex components, so does the above imply that there is always some change of basis to one in which the components are all real, and if so, using this basis, does the above necessarily mean the representation is also composed of real numbers?

tomdodd4598 said:
Very often I see bispinors with complex components, so does the above imply that there is always some change of basis to one in which the components are all real, and if so, using this basis, does the above necessarily mean the representation is also composed of real numbers?

AFAIK, yes, as long as you're only talking about classical objects and classical transformations. This gets a little dicey with spinors since they don't have all the properties one would expect "classical objects" to have, and they only really appear in the theory when you're trying to construct a framework that you're going to end up using for a quantum field theory of fermions.

PeterDonis said:
AFAIK, yes, as long as you're only talking about classical objects and classical transformations.
Ok, gotcha - thanks!

1. What is the Lorentz group and why is it important in physics?

The Lorentz group is a mathematical group that describes the symmetries of space and time in special relativity. It plays a crucial role in modern physics, as it helps us understand the behavior of objects moving at high speeds and the relationship between space and time.

2. What is a direct sum of representations?

A direct sum of representations is a mathematical operation that combines two or more representations of a group into a single representation. In the context of the Lorentz group, this operation allows us to study the behavior of objects with different types of spin (e.g. spin-0, spin-1, spin-2) in a unified way.

3. How is exploring direct sums of Lorentz group representations useful?

Studying direct sums of Lorentz group representations allows us to understand the dynamics of particles with different spin values and how they interact with each other. This is important in fields such as particle physics and cosmology, where the behavior of fundamental particles and the structure of the universe are investigated.

4. What are some applications of exploring direct sums of Lorentz group representations?

One application is in the study of quantum field theory, where the Lorentz group is used to describe the behavior of particles and fields. Another application is in the construction of theories that unify the fundamental forces of nature, such as the theory of supersymmetry which involves the use of direct sums of Lorentz group representations.

5. Are there any real-world examples of direct sums of Lorentz group representations?

Yes, the Standard Model of particle physics is an example of a theory that uses direct sums of Lorentz group representations to describe the behavior of particles and their interactions. Additionally, the theory of supersymmetry, which is being actively studied by physicists, also involves direct sums of Lorentz group representations.