Direction of Magnetic Field when given velocity and force

In summary, when an electron moving west enters a magnetic field, it curves upward, which means out of the page. The direction of the magnetic field can be determined using the right hand rule, with the thumb pointing upward and the fingers representing the west velocity. The force on the electron is also upward, out of the page. It is important to consider the negative charge of the electron when determining the direction of the force.
skibum143

Homework Statement

An electron, moving west, enters a magnetic field of a certain strength. Because of this field the electron curves upward. What is the direction of the magnetic field?

Homework Equations

Right Hand Rule

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't understand what the question means by the electron curving "upward" - does that mean curves north, or curves out of the page?
If you start with west velocity (fingers) and want to end up with a force directed north, your magnetic field would go out of the page (then the thumb would point up). But the answer claims it is "magnetic field is towards the north". How can this be true? The magnetic field and the force can't be in the same direction? And if the magnetic field is north, and the velocity is west, the force would push the electron into the page, which since it is negative would really be out of the page. So, I guess when it says the electron curves upward, they actually mean out of the page?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
skibum143 said:
I don't understand what the question means by the electron curving "upward" - does that mean curves north, or curves out of the page?

I'm pretty sure it means out of the page. The question already mentioned the direction "West." So I think it's reasonable to assume that if the question meant North, it would have said "North," not upward. So we can safely assume that the force is upward, out of the page (if the page is sitting flat [horizontally] on the desk).

[...] So, I guess when it says the electron curves upward, they actually mean out of the page?
Thanks!

Right! There you go. :approve:

Btw., judging by your answer assuming that the force was North, you might be forgetting that electrons are negatively charged. Don't forget about the sign. :wink:

Yeah I realized that I forgot about the sign. But the whole "upward" thing confused me, it's easier when they stick to in and out of the page. Thanks a ton for your help!

What is the direction of the magnetic field when velocity and force are given?

The direction of the magnetic field is perpendicular to both the velocity and the force vectors.

In which direction does the magnetic field point when an object with velocity experiences a force?

The magnetic field points in a direction that is perpendicular to both the velocity and the force vectors.

Does the direction of the magnetic field change if the velocity and force are in opposite directions?

No, the direction of the magnetic field remains the same regardless of the direction of the velocity and force vectors. It will always be perpendicular to both vectors.

How can the direction of the magnetic field be determined experimentally?

The direction of the magnetic field can be determined using a compass needle. The needle will align itself with the magnetic field lines, indicating the direction of the field.

Can the direction of the magnetic field be changed by manipulating the velocity or force?

No, the direction of the magnetic field is determined by the relative orientations of the velocity and force vectors. Unless these vectors change, the direction of the magnetic field will remain the same.