Discharging problem of a turn-off snubber circuit

• Thread starter yykcw
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuit
In summary, the conversation discusses the turn-on snubber on page 5 of a website about snubber circuits. The question is raised about a possible reverse voltage induced in Ls when the switch turns off, and whether the voltage across the switch would need to be larger. The possibility of using a diode to share voltage and the confusion between the purpose of the turn-on snubber (voltage delay vs. current delay) is also mentioned. The speaker requests a jpeg to clarify the circuit, and it is explained that the turn-on snubber is designed to reduce the current turn-on voltage and is only a partial circuit. It is noted that a different circuit would be needed for snubbing turn-off.
yykcw
I am referring to the turn-on snubber on page 5 of the following website:
http://www.engr.usask.ca/classes/EE/443/notes/Snubber_Circuits.pdf
I want to ask when the switch start to turn off, isn't that there will be a reverse voltage induced in Ls? Then, the voltage across the switch has to be larger, does it really make sense? If the diode across the current source can share some voltage then it will be reverse bias and all current from the current source will flow to the switch which I think is not reasonable.
Moreover, this website saying the turn-on snubber is to delay the voltage, but my textbook tell me it is to delay the current! Why there will be a difference? I am really confuse right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Could you attach a jpeg? I can accommodate only jpegs.

The turn-on snubber is designed to reduce the current turn-on voltage. It is a partial circuit.
If you want to snub turn-off also you will need to use a different circuit.
Turn_On snubber.jpg

1. What is a turn-off snubber circuit?

A turn-off snubber circuit is a type of circuit used in electronic devices to protect against voltage spikes and transients that may occur during the switching off of a load or component.

2. What is a discharging problem in a turn-off snubber circuit?

A discharging problem in a turn-off snubber circuit refers to the issue of the circuit not being able to discharge the energy stored in the snubber capacitor fast enough. This can lead to unwanted voltage spikes and damage to the circuit components.

3. What causes the discharging problem in a turn-off snubber circuit?

The discharging problem in a turn-off snubber circuit can be caused by various factors such as incorrect sizing of the snubber components, improper placement of the snubber circuit, or a malfunctioning snubber capacitor.

4. How can the discharging problem in a turn-off snubber circuit be solved?

The discharging problem in a turn-off snubber circuit can be solved by adjusting the snubber components, such as increasing the snubber resistor value or decreasing the snubber capacitor value. It is also important to ensure the correct placement of the snubber circuit in the circuit design.

5. What are the consequences of not addressing the discharging problem in a turn-off snubber circuit?

If the discharging problem is not addressed, it can lead to voltage spikes that can damage the circuit components and affect the overall performance and reliability of the electronic device. It can also cause interference and noise in the circuit, which can affect the functioning of other components.