What are the challenges faced by disillusioned math majors in finding a job?

In summary: I am looking for-feel like I do not have the right skills-have looked into online courses but they are very expensive and I do not know if it is worth it-I am open to learning new things but I also do not want to spend a lot of money on something I am not sure will help meIn summary, the author has a mathematics degree from a top-ranked university, but has been unsuccessful in finding a job in the field. He has applied to a variety of positions, but has not had any success. He has given up on finding a job and is considering doing a PhD in parallel computing.
So what do you do then. You cannot get an internship unless you are in school or go back to school. You cannot get a job without experience but you need experience to get a job. You can do project on your own but they might not be impressive enough.
So it seems in today society unless you graduate with experience or know somebody in the industry, you are out of the job market.

[Post edited by the Mentors]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think it's an idea worth trying. You have nothing to lose from trying. I walked into a company once, asked to talk to the manager, handed him my resume and spoke with him for a couple of minutes. I didn't end up getting the job, but I sacrificed nothing but 10 minutes by trying.

Every strategy is worth a try. I don't think it's productive to tell someone that this or that won't work. How do they benefit from that? It's not the entrepreneurial spirit most people like to see and are inspired by. Getting a job requires taking risks, thinking outside of the box and trying new things.

Last edited:
homeylova223 said:
10. how do handle a difficult student?

Did you answer "I know a guy who knows a guy"?

homeylova223 said:
So what do you do then. You cannot get an internship unless you are in school or go back to school. You cannot get a job without experience but you need experience to get a job. You can do project on your own but they might not be impressive enough.
So it seems in today society unless you graduate with experience or know somebody in the industry, you are out of the job market.

[Post edited by the Mentors]

The truth of the matter is that you are very unlucky at this stage, both due to the COVID-19 pandemic (which has resulted in various businesses closing or having reduced business, leading to record-high unemployment rates) and due to the fact that you did not pursue any internship opportunities while you were a student (I've said this repeatedly, and I will say it again -- internships should be an absolute requirement required for graduation for all STEM students).

Now enough with what has happened in the past. What next steps should you take?

The problem is that you are unemployed, like too many Americans. Which means you are facing stiff competition against any position. So you need to think of what specific things do you have that makes you stand out from others. I would suggest you make such a list. Some examples include:

1. Your programming skills? How good are they? What can you do?

2. What job experiences do you have? You stated before that you have tutoring or teaching experience. That means that you have communication skills. Work on those.

Once you have a list, then the next step is to do the following:

1. Prepare a resume and/or cover letter specifically targeting jobs you are interested in.

2. Go to LinkedIn and Indeed (or other similar job ads) and apply to as many positions that you find. I would suggest applying to as many positions as possible, anywhere in the US. Don't get too specific about job locations -- be willing to move and work anywhere. You should be applying to >100 positions.

3. At the same time, network, network, network! Find people that you know (professors, classmates, family & friends, etc.) and see if they can connect you to people, and reach out to them. Attend conferences where employers may attend (in the current pandemic, these would have to be virtual meetings, but take down any contact info of potential employers).

4. Find temp agencies or recruiting agencies and send your resume to them. In the case of temp agencies (e.g. Kelly Services), there might be short term contract jobs that could help you get immediate experience that you can use to pad out your resume.

5. Repeat steps 1-4 continuously.

Keep in mind that the process above is going to be a long process, so be prepared to keep looking for anywhere between 6 months to a year from now. But keep at it. The more you follow steps 1-5, the greater the probability that something will land.

Likes Zap
I'm actually not doing that bad in my job search. I've got two potential jobs in the works, which have progressed from an initial interview. I still get about two, three or more rejection letters per day, but there are a few other jobs in which I've moved on in the application process but have not yet been scheduled for an interview.

It's definitely true that now is not the greatest time to be looking for jobs, but not all is doom and gloom. OP should know that it's more than possible for him to find a job, and he should not give up. I think StatGuy offered some great advice. However, I would not be closed minded to strategies you have not yet tried. It wouldn't hurt to try new strategies, in my opinion. That being said, you should definitely be doing what StateGuy has suggested congruently with whatever alternative strategy you decide to try. StatGuy said you should be applying to >100 positions. I think that number is far too low. I would suggest > 1000 positions. I'm afraid that if you only apply to 100+ jobs, you won't find one. 100+ is not that many, in my opinion. I also want to correct what I previously said and suggest to include a cover letter whenever possible, but to not spend a significant amount of time on anyone application (like hours or even days like I used to do). However, spending hours or days on your resume and cover letter which will be applied to more than one job is time well spent. You should have a good LinkedIn and Indeed profile as well, if you don't already, and start connecting with people. I've had a few recruiters reach out to me from LinkedIn and Indeed.

I think OP has a pretty good skill set. There are a good amount of jobs that value good mathematical skill. There are jobs that will look past limited programming skill in favor of programming aptitude, which comes with mathematical reasoning. Actuarial and analytic jobs are a few. There are more. I want to encourage OP to continue his hard work and to keep pushing each day harder and harder. Take care of yourself, go to the gym, try to eat healthy but keep on pushing. Every once in awhile, take a day or two off and try to enjoy life a little. You definitely provide a lot to the table. I believe in OP.

Last edited:
Likes StatGuy2000
sysprog said:
Also I think that writing a good cover letter, especially one that shows at least that you know what business the prospective employer is engaged in, is not at all a waste of your time.
When I was a hiring manager there were people that I moved to the next step in the process specifically because of their cover letter. They didn't wind up getting the job, but they did get more consideration than their resume alone warranted. So I guess you could read that as evidence either way.

Likes sysprog
Zap said:
I get like ten rejection letters a day. It shouldn't feel like a knife through the heart every time.
Having been on the other side of the shotgun, I don't particularly care for the approach. But this right here is good advice.

Likes sysprog
Applying to 100 positions a day seems like a lot. Since December 2018 I have done about 600 applications.

homeylova223 said:
Applying to 100 positions a day seems like a lot. Since December 2018 I have done about 600 applications.
If done properly, you should be able to send 100 apps in roughly 2 to 4 hours (quick guess) using the controversial shotgun method previously described .LinkedIn and Indeed have quick apply features that may have not existed in times past, which allow for sending rapid fire applications. You can shoot out 50 apps in less than an hour, if you look for posts that have this feature.

I would at least add a cover letter whenever you can, though. It doesn't have to be a unique cover letter, but at least one that is good in which you can change the company name and position. I think not having one will hurt your chances, and if you're only changing the company name and position, adding one with your resume should take less than a minute or two. But this only works if your resume and cover letter are good and target very specific jobs that are high in demand. This might not work if your looking for a post doc or an actual physics position.

I recommend spending more time on positions that stand out or really interest you. I find that individual job posts usually don't stand out though, because most job posts and company websites are vague. Some of them are intentionally vague. Some are even misleading.

If I find something that stands out and piques my interest, I will take extra time with it. As long as you're open minded to new things, you won't ever run out of jobs to apply to, even if you apply to 100 per day. It's fun to just browse through 50 or 100 jobs. I'm always surprised with things that come up that I might have a chance at. Searching math or physics brings up all kinds of obscure results. I am currently targeting all things related to data science, data analytics and software engineering anywhere in the world. Software engineering is kind of a stretch, but no harm in trying.

Having a good Indeed and LinkedIn portfolio is crucial as well, in my opinion. This is a must, as far as I'm concerned. I know a lot of people who don't have Indeed or LinkedIn portfolios. I honestly don't know how they manage. I know someone who applied to 20 jobs and quit trying. What was going through his head? This is a game that we have to play, and you can't let it get you down. If you can see it as a game, you might even have some fun with it.

Last edited:
Likes StatGuy2000, sysprog and Dale
What drives me a little crazy is when the employer sends you a series of tests and then you get to the interview and it’s just another test, without even asking you to introduce yourself. At that point the selection process is almost entirely automated and based on your ability to solve toy problems.

Have you tried applying on jobs which don't need a degree ins omething?

Since you have a degree you will most likely get the job because you have more skills than the other contenders.

Save money and then go back to college to study something different.

Also have you paid your college-loan yet?

I managed to get to an interview for something software engineering related. I realized I've spent this whole time just coding and still lack fundamental knowledge of what the code is actually doing under the hood.

I've realized that instead of just writing code, it would be a good use of time to study the well known and frequently used algorithms, data types, memory allocation and common problems encountered in computer science. Things like hash maps, hash tables, heap, stack, linked lists and arrays, I only just learned about a few days ago. I've been just coding in my own little world for the last year or two. I'm amazed I was able to write programs without having basic knowledge of fundamental software engineering concepts. I think whoever was interviewing me was also surprised.

So, my point is to not get boggled down in simply writing code and memorizing the syntax of a particular language. It's actually more important that you know and understand what you are doing with the code behind the scenes and know and understand important algorithms, their time and space complexities and where to apply them. This will help you to solve coding problems more so than simply memorizing a language. You really have to develop the ability to conceptualize and lay out a step by step solution to a problem that is optimal before writing any code.

This whole time I would just start writing code and solve the problem via trial and error, which may be the approach in some situations, but not in an interview setting. Even if you manage to solve the problem optimally by accident, the interviewer is going to be disappointed if you cannot explain to him what is going on other than what you can see with your eyes.

So, yea. Pretty much this whole time I've been worried about which language I should learn and how many lines of code I had written, but what's more important is computer science in itself. I happened to learn Python first, which I suppose allowed me to be blissfully ignorant for longer than I should have been. You should be comfortable with at least one OOP language, but don't get too comfortable and spend at least an equal amount of time studying the fundamentals of CS, which you can use to solve problems optimally and understand all of the languages.

Last edited:
Zap said:
So, yea. Pretty much this whole time I've been worried about which language I should learn and how many lines of code I had written, but what's more important is computer science in itself.
Are you saying that you've been spending a year or two programming with the view of using the skill to gain employment and not once has it crossed your mind to read about what skills would be tested in a programming interview? Please go buy an interview book.

Zap said:
I managed to get to an interview for something software engineering related. I realized I've spent this whole time just coding and still lack fundamental knowledge of what the code is actually doing under the hood.

I've realized that instead of just writing code, it would be a good use of time to study the well known and frequently used algorithms, data types, memory allocation and common problems encountered in computer science. Things like hash maps, hash tables, heap, stack, linked lists and arrays, I only just learned about a few days ago. I've been just coding in my own little world for the last year or two. I'm amazed I was able to write programs without having basic knowledge of fundamental software engineering concepts. I think whoever was interviewing me was also surprised.

So, my point is to not get boggled down in simply writing code and memorizing the syntax of a particular language. It's actually more important that you know and understand what you are doing with the code behind the scenes and know and understand important algorithms, their time and space complexities and where to apply them. This will help you to solve coding problems more so than simply memorizing a language. You really have to develop the ability to conceptualize and lay out a step by step solution to a problem that is optimal before writing any code.

This whole time I would just start writing code and solve the problem via trial and error, which may be the approach in some situations, but not in an interview setting. Even if you manage to solve the problem optimally by accident, the interviewer is going to be disappointed if you cannot explain to him what is going on other than what you can see with your eyes.

So, yea. Pretty much this whole time I've been worried about which language I should learn and how many lines of code I had written, but what's more important is computer science in itself. I happened to learn Python first, which I suppose allowed me to be blissfully ignorant for longer than I should have been. You should be comfortable with at least one OOP language, but don't get too comfortable and spend at least an equal amount of time studying the fundamentals of CS, which you can use to solve problems optimally and understand all of the languages.
Are you also a math major??

Helena Wells said:
Have you tried applying on jobs which don't need a degree ins omething?

Since you have a degree you will most likely get the job because you have more skills than the other contenders.

Save money and then go back to college to study something different.

Also have you paid your college-loan yet?
Yes I am starting a warehouse job soon. It is moving boxes not related to math. But in the meantime I think I will go back to school for operations research.

Likes symbolipoint
homeylova223 said:
It is moving boxes not related to math.

But moving boxes is related to math!

See H. Burgiel, How To Lose At Tetris.

Likes etotheipi and symbolipoint
That's tough, man. No shame in moving boxes, but I know that has to be a difficult thing to accept. Your strength should be respected.

I honestly think you have a pretty good skill set, and I'm confident you can find a more technical job if you continue searching. I am a physics major.

I was just interviewed today not for a job but by someone who was building a product. I thought it was a job interview! He's starting a business and wanted my input as data scientist, even though I never claimed to be a data scientist. Don't know how that happened, but he seemed to be impressed with my background mixed with sympathy and offered help in the job search. I am also working with several recruiters at the moment.

I think you will have better luck applying unknown companies. For awhile, I made a mistake of only applying to companies that I knew about or were interested in. There's nothing wrong with that, but I was missing out on a whole ocean of other opportunities.

I recommend checking out revature. They will be interested in you and offer paid software engineering training. It's not a bad deal if you're just looking to get your foot into the door, but it's a two year contract that you will have to sign, and the pay for those two years is much lower than what a software engineer makes. It's around 50k. Nevertheless, I recommend doing something like that over continued schooling, because it at least guarantees a job and you are at least getting paid. There are also other programs similar to this you can look for.

Never give up, man. I may also have to temporarily work in fast food or moving boxes, as well. Just know that these jobs pay little because they are really easy. When you get that technical job, it's going to be hard, but it's totally worth doing. At least that was my impression. I was shocked by the workload I was given when I landed the first career job. But it was awesome! Too bad corona virus is a thing.

Likes homeylova223
Zap said:
That's tough, man. No shame in moving boxes, but I know that has to be a difficult thing to accept. Your strength should be respected.

I honestly think you have a pretty good skill set, and I'm confident you can find a more technical job if you continue searching. I am a physics major.

I was just interviewed today not for a job but by someone who was building a product. I thought it was a job interview! He's starting a business and wanted my input as data scientist, even though I never claimed to be a data scientist. Don't know how that happened, but he seemed to be impressed with my background mixed with sympathy and offered help in the job search. I am also working with several recruiters at the moment.

I think you will have better luck applying unknown companies. For awhile, I made a mistake of only applying to companies that I knew about or were interested in. There's nothing wrong with that, but I was missing out on a whole ocean of other opportunities.

I recommend checking out revature. They will be interested in you and offer paid software engineering training. It's not a bad deal if you're just looking to get your foot into the door, but it's a two year contract that you will have to sign, and the pay for those two years is much lower than what a software engineer makes. It's around 50k. Nevertheless, I recommend doing something like that over continued schooling, because it at least guarantees a job and you are at least getting paid. There are also other programs similar to this you can look for.

Never give up, man. I may also have to temporarily work in fast food or moving boxes, as well. Just know that these jobs pay little because they are really easy. When you get that technical job, it's going to be hard, but it's totally worth doing. At least that was my impression. I was shocked by the workload I was given when I landed the first career job. But it was awesome! Too bad corona virus is a thing.
I have heard about companies like Revarture. You have to sign a 2 year contract and they offer you training and allegedly place you in a software company. The only thing that worries me about companies like that is that you are bonded labor you owe them money for the training I think its between 20,000 and 25,000 dollars and basically while they train you they pay you about the salary of working at a Wendys or Burger King. It seems too risky for me at least if you go back to school the government will not change the interest they charge you on loans while if you owe money to revarture they are a private company it just seems a bit shady to me.

Likes symbolipoint
Zap said:
That can actually be an advantage. Less tough, less complicated thought while working. Later, after work, time to study.

I went through a sketchy boot camp that was a 15 thousand dollar contract. I went through it and was one of only three people who were hired. The others got kind of screwed over, but that was a really sketchy training program and many of the selected candidates just weren't super motivated. Revature is much more well known. The training period is around three months and pays basically minimum wage. Not much different from a typical internship. Afterward, you should get a job. I'm actually thinking of doing it myself. If you are forking over thousands to go back to school, though, you might as well do a 3 months boot camp instead. There's a data science boot camp I had been eyeing for the last year or so. Forgot the name, but it will pay for training and you can do it online. I already did a data science boot camp though so I'm thinking maybe it's not necessary. Don't know. Just my thoughts. I'm probably never going back to school, though. That's just my preference. I forgot how long you've been searching for a job, but if it's less than a year. I would maybe continue searching and maybe leave the returning to school thing for January, since it's always something you can do. No time constraints there. Best of luck!

symbolipoint said:
That can actually be an advantage. Less tough, less complicated thought while working. Later, after work, time to study.
Yea. I was thinking the same in my current situation. The career type job I had required so much time. I was almost working 24/7, and it wasn't just moving boxes or washing dishes. I had a lot of stress and time constraints. A lot of deadlines and people to deal with. I had to be constantly thinking and trying to learn new things. I had meetings in the middle of the night. Colleagues texting at all hours of the day. I had almost no free time at all. There were days where I thought it was too much for me, but now I wish I had it back.

homeylova223 said:
I have heard about companies like Revarture. You have to sign a 2 year contract and they offer you training and allegedly place you in a software company. The only thing that worries me about companies like that is that you are bonded labor you owe them money for the training I think its between 20,000 and 25,000 dollars and basically while they train you they pay you about the salary of working at a Wendys or Burger King.

Let's drill down into this a bit.

The Revarture model is essentially that they pay to train you up front, and then take the money it cost out of your salary for two years. They don't call it that, but that's how it works. It's not surprising that they take steps to keep people from getting trained and quitting.

As far as the Burger-King-salary, how much do you think someone should get paid while they are being trained and not earning money for the company?

This is clearly not for everyone - it's certainly not for me - but it could work for some people.

Likes symbolipoint and berkeman
In the '80s and '90s H. Ross Perot's EDS practiced that kind of despotry ##-## new employees had to sign a promissory note that made them owe $9,000 if they quit or got fired (LA Times article) ##-## and it was easy to get fired, even for such dubious reasons as off-hours deportment that wasn't quite adequately 'conservative', and the standard contract had a 3-year post-employment non-competition clause (AP News article) ##-## it was as close to an 'employee-owning' company as was practicable.

School is basically a two year contract, as well. I don't what you're expecting to make while "training" back in school. I was making below minimum wage because the funding for my GA was randomly cut. Horrible experience. I'm obviously a little bitter toward school.

I'm actually talking with revature right now. So, you train for about 3 months for minimum wage. Not the end of the world, then you will have to work for revature for two years. The first year is around 50k. The second year, you will receive a 15k salary increase. Then, after the two years, you have two years experience and can work for any company you want. With two years of software engineering experience, you will prob receive a dramatic salary increase. Surely, there are worse deals out there. I think they also offer relocation assistance. I'll prob find out more soon. It's kind of enticing me.

I'm kind of expecting to make around 50k, if I'm able to land another job. I doubt I'll be making 75k again, or any more than that. 75k was a pretty good offer. Don't know how I got that. This job I am currently praying for sounds really cool, but I sensed some hesitation with my salary expectations, which was 75k. So, pretty much anticipating a decrease in salary should I land a job.

Last edited:
Likes Dale
Many have written at length so if this is repeated advice, sorry. Number 1) Look for companies founded by mathematicians. Often companies will hire from pools of people of similar background. Number 2) Try aerospace. Often if you can fog a mirror and qualify for a clearance, you're in.

Another thought, people usually say to avoid start ups, because they say start ups look for expert talent. However, start ups are more likely to take chances. They may be more likely to give you a chance, even if you're not an expert. Some start ups may be in the growth phase and desperate to hire people, as well. There are some risks involved with joining a start up, but it's something I would consider.

Likes Paul Colby
I've run into a few job posts like this "You become an [Blank] employee from day one and are paid during the training period before placement onsite with our clients." Are you applying to entry level jobs that offer paid training such as this? The job I ended up getting put me through a 12 week paid training program.

Here is another one: "What you'll need: Bachelor's degree, a drive to learn, some experience with software or computer science, 1 month of paid training and 2 weeks of interview training. Our consultants, on average, make $120,000 after 2 years with us. We train, support, and continue to provide regular training so that you make progress in your career. Training is on-site and we will pay for airfare, housing, and you will be paid while training."

I'm sure your minor in computer science is all that would be needed to fulfill the requirements. How many of these types of training programs/jobs have you applied to?

I just found one offering 3 month fullstack development paid training program. I think it's also a two year contract, but you're not going to find paid training that's not going to have a contract along with it. The contract I signed was for 12 months after the training. I don't regret signing it. It got me a job. Usually those contracts are only broken if you quit or try to leave the job. You could just try to get fired or something if you really wanted to get out of it. I've heard of people doing that, but it sounds like an odd thing to do.

Last edited:
Zap said:
There are some risks involved with joining a start up, but it's something I would consider.
I would consider that even if the startup fails (all too common) one has job experience to put on your next resume.

Likes Locrian
Starting to feel a bit defeated myself. I have an interview with Revature and for a data software engineer position next week. I'm starting to lean more and more toward the Revature thing. It seems a bit more secure during these times, and I need something relatively soon. I'm pretty confident I will be accepted into the program, if I decide to pursue it. I can see full stack dev training going a long way. Juggling job hunting with self training doesn't sound like a better alternative. I'd much rather be in a program following a curriculum making minimum wage for a short time with the high probability of a job afterward while maybe self training in a few things that interest me instead of possibly making minimum wage with no clear end in sight, job hunting and trying to focus on one of the myriad of things I could potentially teach myself that may or may not end up paying off.

Last edited:
Zap said:
Starting to feel a bit defeated myself. I have an interview with Revature and for a data software engineer position next week. I'm starting to lean more and more toward the Revature thing. It seems a bit more secure during these times, and I need something relatively soon. I'm pretty confident I will be accepted into the program, if I decide to pursue it. I can see full stack dev training going a long way. Juggling job hunting with self training doesn't sound like a better alternative. I'd much rather be in a program following a curriculum making minimum wage for a short time with the high probability of a job afterward while maybe self training in a few things that interest me instead of possibly making minimum wage with no clear end in sight, job hunting and trying to focus on one of the myriad of things I could potentially teach myself that may or may not end up paying off.
I get you I been out of college two year now. I decided to do this corona virus data entry job instead of the warehouse thing. But that is my life some life the only jobs I have had are tutoring and temp data entry jobs.
I do not know I think we math and physics major messed up and should have chosen computer science. Next week I have to choose classes for a new major I am planning to do and it hurts my heart to give money to these college professor who treat you like you are worthless and often do not respond to emails.

From what I read about revarture though they will give you training but you still have to pass the coding interview of whoever want to hire you and you have to sign a 2 year contact.
The way I see if you can pass the coding interview then you do not even need the company.

They send you a pretty comprehensive series of online courses to go through and then a study guide to prepare for the "coding" interview. The interview is not really a coding interview. You don't write any code. They will just ask you conceptual questions about programming that you got from the courses. There will probably be some syntax related questions on SQL, C# and Java, which again is covered in the courses. The two year contract is really the only sacrifice you're making. Whether it's worth it or not is up to you. I have the coding interview in a few days. I'm still not sure if I will join if I pass the interview, but I want to know more, and studying for that interview will help me with any other coding related interview, so that in itself is worth the effort to me. I mainly want to get a solid grasp on what the course material will be in the program and what kind of job I can expect to get afterwards. If it's legit full stack development, I may go through with it, because I see that paying off big time and perhaps being worth it. Depending on the legitness of the program as a whole, you might be able to think of it as a two year training program. I mentioned before I got my last job through a training program, and it worked out pretty well, up until corona virus.

My previous job was basically data entry, but I was assigned to develop Python code to automate it. What do you do in data entry?

Last edited:
Wait did you not get a GAship?

I entertain going back to school sometimes, but if I ever did, it wouldn't be for a job. I went to grad school specifically for a job, the job of GA LOL. You should have a GAship set up so you don't get into more debt. School should be fun, and it usually is fun. You shouldn't feel regret over going back. This could be a great opportunity for you. I wish you the best.

Zap said:
They send you a pretty comprehensive series of online courses to go through and then a study guide to prepare for the "coding" interview. The interview is not really a coding interview. You don't write any code. They will just ask you conceptual questions about programming that you got from the courses. There will probably be some syntax related questions on SQL, C# and Java, which again is covered in the courses. The two year contract is really the only sacrifice you're making. Whether it's worth it or not is up to you. I have the coding interview in a few days. I'm still not sure if I will join if I pass the interview, but I want to know more, and studying for that interview will help me with any other coding related interview, so that in itself is worth the effort to me. I mainly want to get a solid grasp on what the course material will be in the program and what kind of job I can expect to get afterwards. If it's legit full stack development, I may go through with it, because I see that paying off big time and perhaps being worth it. Depending on the legitness of the program as a whole, you might be able to think of it as a two year training program. I mentioned before I got my last job through a training program, and it worked out pretty well, up until corona virus.

My previous job was basically data entry, but I was assigned to develop Python code to automate it. What do you do in data entry?
Well I had 2 data entry one was putting like financial information about checks. My most recent one is putting people health information into a database like if they have covid19 and other illnesses. It is kind of long hour and somewhat boring.

Zap said:
Wait did you not get a GAship?

I entertain going back to school sometimes, but if I ever did, it wouldn't be for a job. I went to grad school specifically for a job, the job of GA LOL. You should have a GAship set up so you don't get into more debt. School should be fun, and it usually is fun. You shouldn't feel regret over going back. This could be a great opportunity for you. I wish you the best.
No they do not offer Graduate stipends to master student to the school I am going. With all this Coronavirus thing I think I will only do 1or 2 classes at a time so it will not be a huge amount of debt and I think I will just pay some of the classes upfront.

I think this semester I will take computational complexity which is described as

" Introduction to resource-bounded computations, central complexity-theoretic concepts such as complexity classes, reducibility, completeness, and intractability. "

and another class called scheduling theory. I think this a good start for operations research.

I got mixed feeling about returning to school but my return will be more of as part time student and I do not know if I will spend much time on campus and another thing is it will be hard to network because a lot of people are afraid of gathering together unfortunately.