Displacement Problem: Sandra Walks Home from C

In summary, Sandra walks home from the commercial mall. Her displacement is -2.5 if the origin is at the commercial mall, and -3 if the origin is at home.
ValerieL

Homework Statement

H------S-----C

Sandra is represented by S, Home is represented by H, and C is represented by commercial mall.
If Sandra walks home, what is her displacement if the commercial mall is the origin?

The distance between H and S is 2 miles and the distance between S and C is represented by D.
D = 3.0 miles.

Homework Equations

Displacement = xf - xo/t

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure if I have the concept of displacement down right...it should be the right overall change in position from its start to final, but when I do this problem it doesn't make sense.

So C is the origin (xo) so its value is 5 and H is 0. So the overall displacement should be -5, but when I did the problem, it said -5 was incorrect. So I'm not sure what I did wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you assumed Sandra was at the mall.

If Sandra is in the center and the origin was the mall, then mall = x0. If she walks home, she is walking from the origin to home, right? So shouldn't that be -5? Even if she started from the center, it should be -3 or something?

##x_f## is the final position of Sandra and ##x_0## is the initial position of Sandra (not of the origin). The origin is needed in order to properly determine the values of ##x_f## and ##x_0##.
So if the origin is at C, what are the values of ##x_f## and ##x_0##? (I repeat again they are the final and initial values for the position of Sandra).
If the origin is at H, what are the values for ##x_f## and ##x_0##? As we change the origin, those values might be changing as well.

Seems to me that you have some misunderstanding as to what the origin is truly. The origin is the origin of the coordinate system we use, to determine the values for the positional coordinates (##x_f## and ##x_0##), it is not the starting place from which Sandra is starting walking.

Oh, that makes sense, that may be the case. Usually when you hear origin, you think that it is the starting place. Well, in that case, how would you be able to calculate the position of Sandra? If she goes to her home, then it is a negative displacement.

The distance between S and H is 2 and if the origin is at C, then we count C as 0 so S's location becomes 2.5 which is in between H (2 miles from Sandra) and C (3 miles from Sandra), so the displacement would be -2.5?

Looking at the picture, we have now marked the origin as C, does that mean S is at 3.0 right now or if 3.0 + 2 = 5 and she's in the middle, does it mean she's at 2.5. So then the distance between her the house is 2. but the house's value would be 5. xf=5 x0 = 3 or 2.5 so the displacement should be 2.5 or 3. Is this logic sound?

Attachments

• problem.png
    problem.png
    11.1 KB · Views: 290
If we take C as the origin then for Sandra's final position we have ##x_f=5## and for Sandra's starting position we have ##x_0=3##, so the displacement is ##x_f-x_0=5-3=2miles##.

I don't understand your logic that S's location is 2.5, Sandra is not in the middle, Sandra's initial position is 3 miles from point C so ##x_0=3## .

Likes ValerieL
Oh okay, so we can't assume that S is 2.5 even if it looks like it is in center between H and C. So if the total distance is 5, we can't just divide it by 2 and say that S is at 2.5?

It is 2 miles distance but even if it would be 4-5 in terms of C being 0, would it also be considered negative displacement just because it is moving leftwards from S to the house?

No we can't assume that S is in position 2.5 miles from C , because the problem states clearly that Sandra is 3miles from the C.

To have negative displacement it must be ##x_f<x_0## . The positional coordinates ##x_f## and ##x_0## can be negative if we take as positive direction the direction to the right, so in that case it would have been ##x_f=-5##, ##x_0=-3##, hence the displacement would have been ##x_f-x_0=-5-(-3)=-2## also negative.

1. What is the displacement of Sandra walking home from point C?

The displacement of Sandra walking home from point C is the shortest distance from point C to her home, measured in a straight line. This distance can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem or by subtracting the initial position (point C) from the final position (her home).

2. How is displacement different from distance?

Displacement refers to the shortest distance between two points, while distance refers to the total length of the path traveled. For example, if Sandra walks home from point C and takes a detour, her displacement will be the same (the straight line distance), but her distance traveled will be longer.

3. What factors can affect displacement?

The main factor that can affect displacement is the path or direction of travel. If Sandra takes a different route home from point C, her displacement will also change. Other factors that can affect displacement include any obstacles or barriers that may influence the direction of travel.

4. How is displacement represented in a graph?

Displacement is represented by the slope of a line on a graph. The slope of the line indicates the change in position over time. A steeper slope indicates a larger displacement, while a flatter slope indicates a smaller displacement. Displacement can also be represented by vector diagrams, where the length and direction of the arrow represent the displacement.

5. Can displacement be negative?

Yes, displacement can be negative. A negative displacement indicates that the object has moved in the opposite direction from its initial position. In the case of Sandra walking home from point C, a negative displacement would mean that she walked away from her home and ended up further from it. This can happen if she takes a wrong turn or gets lost on her way home.