Combining Resistors for 5W Dissipation in 10 Ohms

• Thread starter miew
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Power
In summary, the problem asks for the minimum number of 10 resistors, each with a power dissipation of 1.0 W, that need to be combined in series or parallel to create a 10 resistor capable of dissipating at least 5.0 W. Through a series of calculations and experimentation, it is determined that 5 resistors are needed in order to achieve a power dissipation of 5.0 W.
miew

Homework Statement

You are given a number of 10 resistors, each capable of dissipating only 1.0 W without being
destroyed. What is the minimum number of such resistors that you need to combine in series or
in parallel to make a 10 resistor that is capable of dissipating at least 5.0 W?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't understand the problem. I can't see how the final resistance can be 10 if there is more than one resistor. But at the same time I don't get how the power can be 5 with just one..

Help please, we haven't really seen this in class.

Physics news on Phys.org
Start with 4 resistors. What is the resultant resistance of two parallel resistors each of resistance R? And what happens if you connect two such pairs in series?

ehild

OKay, so i got the resistance (I was doing wrong calculations) but I don;t get the power to be 5 but 4 W...

Try connecting more resistors. You need 5 at least.ehild

I got it now ! thank you :)

FAQ: Combining Resistors for 5W Dissipation in 10 Ohms

What is the purpose of combining resistors for 5W dissipation in 10 ohms?

The purpose of combining resistors is to create a circuit with a specific resistance value and power dissipation. In this case, the goal is to achieve a total resistance of 10 ohms and a power dissipation of 5 watts.

How do I calculate the resistance value for each individual resistor?

To calculate the resistance value for each resistor, you can use the formula R = V/I, where R is the resistance, V is the voltage, and I is the current. In this case, you would need to know the voltage and current values for the circuit in order to determine the resistance needed for each resistor.

Can I combine resistors with different resistance values?

Yes, you can combine resistors with different resistance values as long as the total resistance of the circuit is equal to the desired value. You can use the formula R = R1 + R2 + ... + Rn, where R is the total resistance and R1, R2, etc. are the individual resistance values of each resistor.

What is the maximum power dissipation for each individual resistor?

The maximum power dissipation for each resistor depends on its size and material. Generally, resistors have a power rating that indicates the maximum power they can dissipate without getting damaged. It is important to choose resistors with a power rating higher than the desired power dissipation for the circuit to avoid overheating and damage.

How do I connect the resistors to achieve a total resistance of 10 ohms?

You can connect resistors in series or in parallel to achieve a total resistance of 10 ohms. In series, the resistors are connected end-to-end, and the total resistance is equal to the sum of the individual resistors. In parallel, the resistors are connected side-by-side, and the total resistance is calculated using the formula 1/R = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + ... + 1/Rn.

Back