How Far Does a Sand Bag Fall from a Rising Hot Air Balloon After Five Seconds?

• Thread starter petern
  • Start date
So in summary, the hot air balloon is rising at a speed of 5.0 m/s and after five seconds, the sand bag is 122.5 m below the balloon. When calculating the distance using the equation (1/2)(a)(t)^2, the answer is 97.5 m, but taking into account the initial upward velocity of the sand bag, the correct answer is obtained using the equation d=v_o t + 1/2at^2.
petern
A hot air balloon is rising at 5.0 m/s when a bag is released. Five seconds later, how far below the hot air balloon is the sand bag. Answer: 122.5 m.

So I use the equation (1/2)(a)(t)^2 to figure out the distance the bag has traveled. I use the equation -Vt to figure out how far the balloon has risen. I end up getting 97.5 m when I combine the 2 but when I use just (1/2)(a)(t)^2, I get the correct answer.. Can someone please explain to me what I'm doing wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
did you take into account that when the sandbag begins to fall it has an upward velocity of 5m/s?

Midy1420 said:
did you take into account that when the sandbag begins to fall it has an upward velocity of 5m/s?

Wow! I can't believe I forgot about that. Thanks a lot.

The actual equation is [tex]d=v_o t + 1/2at^2[/tex]

Chi Meson said:
The actual equation is [tex]d=v_o t + 1/2at^2[/tex]

Thanks!

Related to How Far Does a Sand Bag Fall from a Rising Hot Air Balloon After Five Seconds?

1. What is the formula for calculating the distance between two objects?

The formula for calculating the distance between two objects is d = √[(x2 - x1)^2 + (y2 - y1)^2 + (z2 - z1)^2], where x1, y1, z1 represent the coordinates of the first object and x2, y2, z2 represent the coordinates of the second object.

2. Can the distance between two objects be negative?

No, the distance between two objects cannot be negative. It is always a positive value representing the length of the shortest path between the two objects.

3. How does the distance between two objects affect their gravitational attraction?

The distance between two objects affects their gravitational attraction by following the inverse-square law. This means that as the distance between two objects increases, their gravitational force decreases exponentially.

4. How can the distance between two objects be measured?

The distance between two objects can be measured using various methods such as using a ruler, measuring tape, or laser range finders. In space, scientists use triangulation, radar, or parallax to measure the distance between celestial objects.

5. Is the distance between two objects constant?

The distance between two objects can change over time due to various factors such as their relative motion, gravitational pull, and external forces. However, in a stable system, the distance between two objects can remain constant for a period of time.