Distance between each double-slit and the light band.

In summary, the conversation is about a physics problem on the SAT Practice Subject Test. The person is struggling with finding the solution and mentions using Young's double-slit equation but is unsure how to apply it. Another person suggests looking at the original double slit equation and considering the diagram to understand what d\sin\theta represents. The person is grateful for the guidance and now has a better understanding of the problem.
RProgrammer

Homework Statement

http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/3118/photo1587hx4.jpg
This #74 is on the SAT Practice Subject Test in Physics, which is also the Physics test administered in January 2003.

Homework Equations

I don't even know how to begin this problem.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know Young's double-slit equation: nλL=dx
But I don't know any equation for the 'x' and 'y' in the diagram, the distance from the actual slits to the band other than the Pythagorean theorem.
I tried solving with those, and I get a difference, but it's not one of the provided answers.
In my attempt I called the slits A (top) and B (bottom) (since 'x' is the fringe distance), and the distances (x and y in the diagram) Za and Zb.
The system of equations I tried to manipulate was:
Za2=L2 + (d/2 - x)2
Zb2=L2 + (d/2 + x)2
nλL=dx

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
RProgrammer said:

Homework Statement

This #74 is on the SAT Practice Subject Test in Physics, which is also the Physics test administered in January 2003.

Homework Equations

I don't even know how to begin this problem.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know Young's double-slit equation: nλL=dx

That is the double slit equation for small angles; the original double slit equation is:

[tex]
d \sin\theta= n \lambda
[/tex]

Look at how this equation was derived in your textbook; what does [itex]d\sin\theta[/itex] represent?

I don't have a textbook, I'm just going over the questions I missed online.
I've gotten all of them except this one. If you could just point me in the right direction, I would be most grateful.

RProgrammer said:
I don't have a textbook, I'm just going over the questions I missed online.
I've gotten all of them except this one. If you could just point me in the right direction, I would be most grateful.

Look at the diagram at the top of this page (just ignore the lens in the middle of the diagram):

http://www.physics.hmc.edu/courses/Ph51/two_slit.html

Right next to the slits, you can see a part labeled [itex]d\sin\theta[/itex]. If you consider that part, you can see that [itex]d\sin\theta[/itex] is how much more that one light ray has to travel than the other; it's that path length difference between the two paths.

For constructive interference (maximum intensity), the equation that describes it is the one in my last post: [itex]d\sin\theta = n \lambda[/itex]. Putting both of these things together, do you see what the answer to the problem is now?

Thank you, this helps a lot.

1. How does the distance between each double-slit affect the light band pattern?

The distance between each double-slit has a direct impact on the light band pattern. As the distance increases, the light bands become closer together and narrower. Conversely, a smaller distance between the slits will result in wider and more widely spaced light bands.

2. What is the ideal distance between each double-slit for the most distinct light band pattern?

The ideal distance between each double-slit is dependent on the wavelength of the light being used. In general, the distance should be around the same size as the wavelength of the light. This will result in a clear and distinct light band pattern.

3. How does the distance between each double-slit affect the intensity of the light bands?

The distance between each double-slit also has an effect on the intensity of the light bands. As the distance increases, the intensity of the light bands decreases. This is because a wider distance allows for more diffraction and interference to occur, leading to a decrease in intensity.

4. Is there a relationship between the distance between each double-slit and the angle of diffraction?

Yes, there is a relationship between the distance between each double-slit and the angle of diffraction. A larger distance between the slits will result in a smaller angle of diffraction, while a smaller distance will lead to a larger angle of diffraction. This is because a wider distance allows for more diffraction to occur, resulting in a smaller angle.

5. How does the distance between each double-slit affect the overall pattern of light bands?

The distance between each double-slit plays a crucial role in determining the overall pattern of light bands. This distance affects the spacing, intensity, and angle of diffraction of the light bands, all of which contribute to the final pattern. A larger distance results in a wider and less intense pattern, while a smaller distance leads to a narrower and more intense pattern.