1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Distance between each double-slit and the light band.

1. Oct 30, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    [​IMG]
    This #74 is on the SAT Practice Subject Test in Physics, which is also the Physics test administered in January 2003.

2. Relevant equations
    I don't even know how to begin this problem.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know Young's double-slit equation: nλL=dx
    But I don't know any equation for the 'x' and 'y' in the diagram, the distance from the actual slits to the band other than the Pythagorean theorem.
    I tried solving with those, and I get a difference, but it's not one of the provided answers.
    In my attempt I called the slits A (top) and B (bottom) (since 'x' is the fringe distance), and the distances (x and y in the diagram) Za and Zb.
    The system of equations I tried to manipulate was:
    Za2=L2 + (d/2 - x)2
    Zb2=L2 + (d/2 + x)2
    nλL=dx

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2008 #2

alphysicist

Homework Helper

That is the double slit equation for small angles; the original double slit equation is:

[tex]
    d \sin\theta= n \lambda
    [/tex]

Look at how this equation was derived in your textbook; what does [itex]d\sin\theta[/itex] represent?

4. Oct 30, 2008 #3
    I don't have a textbook, I'm just going over the questions I missed online.
    I've gotten all of them except this one. If you could just point me in the right direction, I would be most grateful.

5. Oct 30, 2008 #4

alphysicist

Homework Helper

Look at the diagram at the top of this page (just ignore the lens in the middle of the diagram):

http://www.physics.hmc.edu/courses/Ph51/two_slit.html

Right next to the slits, you can see a part labeled [itex]d\sin\theta[/itex]. If you consider that part, you can see that [itex]d\sin\theta[/itex] is how much more that one light ray has to travel than the other; it's that path length difference between the two paths.

For constructive interference (maximum intensity), the equation that describes it is the one in my last post: [itex]d\sin\theta = n \lambda[/itex]. Putting both of these things together, do you see what the answer to the problem is now?

6. Oct 30, 2008 #5
    Thank you, this helps a lot.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?