Distance from a point to line problem in need of some help

In summary, the book said to find an equation for the line that bisects the angle between two lines. The problem says find the distance from a point to a line, but the equation given is for the distance from two points to a line.
Wats
Distance from a point to line problem...in need of some help

Homework Statement

Find an equation of the line bisecting the angle from the first line to the second.

24x-7y+1=0, 3x+4y-5=0

Homework Equations

|Ax+By+C|/√A^2 + B^2

The Attempt at a Solution

|24x+7y+1|/√(625) = |3x+4y-5|/√(25)

The answer the book gave was 39x+13y-24. These problems are going right over my head. I think it's the position of the point and the absolute values along with the square roots that are throwing me off. I'd really appreciate any help.
Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
You seem to be completely confused as to what you are doing. You titled this "Distance from a point to line" and the "relevant equation" you give is for the distance from the point (x, y) to the line Ax+ By+ C= 0.

But the problem posed, "Find an equation of the line bisecting the angle from the first line to the second" has nothing to do with "distance" not is there any point.

Please check exactly what the problem says.

That is exactly what the problem says. Those were the instructions given and the two equations given. The title of the section in this chapter is called "Distance from a point to a line". The way I understand it is there is a point that is equidistant from each line given, and you're suppose to find the equation for that particular point. That is why I set each equation equal to each other, but I can't seem to get past that.

Ah. That isn't the way I would have done the problem but perhaps this is easier. If two lines intersect then every point on the lines (there are two) that bisect the the angles they make are equidistant from the two lines.

Let (x, y) be a point on the bisector. Write out the formula for the distance from (x, y) to each of the two lines and set them equal. Solve for y as a function of x. That will be the equation of the bisector.

What is the distance from a point to a line?

The distance from a point to a line is the shortest distance between the point and any point on the line. It can also be thought of as the length of a perpendicular line connecting the point to the line.

How is the distance from a point to a line calculated?

The distance from a point to a line can be calculated using the formula d = |Ax + By + C| / √(A^2 + B^2), where (x,y) is the coordinates of the point and A, B, and C are the coefficients of the line's equation in standard form (Ax + By + C = 0).

What is the difference between the distance from a point to a line and the distance from a point to a line segment?

The distance from a point to a line is the shortest distance between the point and the entire line, while the distance from a point to a line segment is the shortest distance between the point and a specific segment of the line.

Can the distance from a point to a line be negative?

No, the distance from a point to a line is always a positive value because it represents a length.

How is the distance from a point to a line used in real-world applications?

The distance from a point to a line is commonly used in fields such as engineering, physics, and computer graphics to determine the shortest distance between objects or to calculate the error of a measurement. It is also used in navigation and mapmaking to find the distance between a point and a road or other linear feature.