Distance CO Molecule: Center of Mass From Carbon Atom

• Thread starter Naldo6
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Atoms
In summary, the distance between a carbon atom and an oxygen atom in a CO molecule is 1.13×10-10 m. To find the center of mass of the molecule, one could refer to their notes or textbook, or use the link provided for further explanation.
Naldo6
The distance between a carbon atom (m = 12.0u) and an oxygen atom (m = 16.0u) in the CO molecule is 1.13×10-10 m. How far from the carbon atom is the center of mass of the molecule?

Physics news on Phys.org
Naldo6 said:
The distance between a carbon atom (m = 12.0u) and an oxygen atom (m = 16.0u) in the CO molecule is 1.13×10-10 m. How far from the carbon atom is the center of mass of the molecule?
The Homework template is there for a reason, please use it.

i don't know how to begin that problem... can anyone helps me?...

Naldo6 said:
i don't know how to begin that problem... can anyone helps me?...
Perhaps you could read your notes or textbook?

that exerccise is not in my book...

Naldo6 said:
that exerccise is not in my book...

How do you find the center of mass then?

Or if you don't know how, then what is the center of mass?

i really don't knwo too much.. i don't understand my physics profesor...

1. What is the distance CO molecule?

The distance of a CO molecule refers to the average distance between the carbon (C) and oxygen (O) atoms in the molecule. This distance can vary depending on the state of the molecule (solid, liquid, or gas) and the specific conditions under which it is being observed.

2. How is the distance CO molecule calculated?

The distance CO molecule can be calculated using the formula:d = √((x2-x1)^2 + (y2-y1)^2 + (z2-z1)^2)where x, y, and z represent the coordinates of the C and O atoms in three-dimensional space. This calculation gives the distance between the two atoms in units of length, such as nanometers or angstroms.

3. Why is the distance CO molecule important?

The distance CO molecule is important because it can provide valuable information about the physical and chemical properties of the molecule. It can also help determine the strength of the bond between the C and O atoms and how the molecule interacts with other molecules and substances.

4. How does the distance CO molecule affect the molecule's properties?

The distance CO molecule can affect the molecule's properties in several ways. For example, a shorter distance between the C and O atoms indicates a stronger bond, making the molecule more stable. It can also affect the molecule's polarity and reactivity, as well as its ability to form intermolecular forces with other molecules.

5. Can the distance CO molecule change?

Yes, the distance CO molecule can change depending on external factors such as temperature, pressure, and the presence of other substances. It can also change during chemical reactions or when the molecule transitions between different states (solid, liquid, or gas).