Distance traveled during speeding-up phase of a propelled sled

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
9 replies · 3K views
IAmPat
Messages
28
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



At the Aircraft Landing Dynamics Facility located at NASA's Langley Research Center in Virginia, a water-jet nozzle propels a 46,000 kg sled from zero to 400 km/hour in 2.5 seconds. Assuming a constant acceleration for the sled, what distance does it travel during the speeding-up phase (meters)?

Homework Equations



The Attempt at a Solution



400km/h = 400,000 m/h
3600 seconds in 1 hour
400,000 * 3600 = 1,440,000,000 m/s = Final Velocity

Vo = 0 m/s
Vf = 1,440,000,000 m/s
t = 2.5s

With a constant acceleration that would mean

a = 1,440,000,000 / 2.5 = 576,000,000 m/s^2

but if I multiply the acceleration by 2.5 I end up with my original final velocity, which doesn't make sense... Am I missing a force or something else? This seems like it should be an easy problem, but for some reason I'm just blanking on it.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi PAT :smile:

IAmPat said:
400km/h = 400,000 m/h
3600 seconds in 1 hour
400,000 * 3600 = 1,440,000,000 m/s = Final Velocity

Do it again
Its wrong!

And didn't you notice its greater than speed of light ... How is that possible :biggrin:
 
cupid.callin said:
Hi PAT :smile:



Do it again
Its wrong!

And didn't you notice its greater than speed of light ... How is that possible :biggrin:


This is what I get for working after being completely mentally drained.

Ok so, it should have been 400,000 DIVIDED by 3600

which gives me 111.1111~ m/s

-> a = 111.111~ / 2.5
-> a = 44.4444~

So now I have my (correct?) acceleration. But once again I'm stuck. If I multiply the acceleration by the time it was speeding up, I get the original 111.1111~. Is that right?
 
IAmPat said:
which gives me 111.1111~ m/s

-> a = 111.111~ / 2.5
-> a = 44.4444~
Yes that looks correct :approve:


IAmPat said:
So now I have my (correct?) acceleration. But once again I'm stuck. If I multiply the acceleration by the time it was speeding up, I get the original 111.1111~. Is that right?
Yes of course that will happen. Its according to Newton's first eqn of motion
You should be more attentive in your lectures :smile:
 
cupid.callin said:
Yes that looks correct :approve:



Yes of course that will happen. Its according to Newton's first eqn of motion
You should be more attentive in your lectures :smile:



The only reason I'm confused as to if it's correct or not is because when I enter in "111.111" as my answer, the grading system is marking it wrong.
 
IAmPat said:
The only reason I'm confused as to if it's correct or not is because when I enter in "111.111" as my answer, the grading system is marking it wrong.

Of course it will say its wrong ... its final speed not velocity :rolleyes:

use second eqn of motion to find distance

s = ut + 0.5 at2

Why you came up with s = at ?:confused:
 
Make sure to always draw a diagram and a fbd (free body diagram) it will always work! ;)

v=v(o)+at
x=x(0)+v(0)t+at^2
v^2=v(0)^2+2a(x-x(0))
x-x(0)=((v+v(0))/2)t
*recall your constant accel equations?

Then find your "y stuff" and then find your "x stuff"
t (time) goes both ways!

also remember the
v(x)= v + sin (theta)
v(y)= v + cos (theta)
 
Also make your x,y axis as simple as possible. Try to put the axis along the most "kinematics" or "forces" what ever you working with. Its usually best to put a(y) "gravity" on the positive y axis.
 
Tim D. said:
Make sure to always draw a diagram and a fbd (free body diagram) it will always work! ;)

v=v(o)+at
x=x(0)+v(0)t+at^2
v^2=v(0)^2+2a(x-x(0))
x-x(0)=((v+v(0))/2)t
*recall your constant accel equations?

Then find your "y stuff" and then find your "x stuff"
t (time) goes both ways!

also remember the
v(x)= v + sin (theta)
v(y)= v + cos (theta)

Please don't give full solutions
Let the OP do the problem himself
 
LOL, that's not full solutions, that's just the equations which he should already know!