How Far is the Dog from Shore After Walking the Length of the Boat?

• Thread starter roam
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Boat
In summary: So the boat's center of mass is 2 m from the shore.In summary, the problem involves determining the distance from shore when a 5 kg dog moves from the back to the front of a 20 kg boat that is 4 m long. The solution involves using the center of mass and the assumption that the center of mass remains the same before and after the dog moves. The center of mass is found to be 8.8 m from shore, and with the given initial distance of 8 m, the final distance from shore is calculated to be 4.8 m.
roam

Homework Statement

A dog weighing 5 kg is at the back of a boat of length 4m and weight 20 kg as shown below. Initially the dog is 8 m from shore. If the dog walks to the front of the boat, how far from shore will he be?

[PLAIN]http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/6067/70134062.gif

Correct Answer: 4.8 m

The Attempt at a Solution

I absolutely have no idea on how to apprach this problem. The velocity of dog and box are not given so it's impossible to use equations of momentum. I appreciate it if anyone could please give me some directions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
hmm, I am not entirely sure either. My first thought is to use center of mass. You can assume that the center of mass before and after the dog walks will be at the same location. Then, find the dogs position relative to that.

Yes, center of mass is the key here. The tie-in with momentum is that there is no net external force on the dog+boat (considered together as a single object).

to find the centre of mass

[tex]x_{CM}= \frac{12 \times 5 + 8 \times 20}{20 +5}= 8.8[/tex]

* (I wrote "5×12" because the dog is at the back of the boat, thus 12 m from the shore. And I don't know if it was correct to write "8×20", because the mass of the boat is distributed through 4 meters). :rolleyes:

If my calculation for the centre of mass is correct then, total momentum of the system of particles is given by

[tex]M \vec{v_{CM}} = 25 \times \frac{d\vec{r_{CM}}}{dt}[/tex]

I guess I need to solve for "rCM", right? Which is the vector position of the centre of mass of an extended object. But how can I solve this when I don't have the time? :confused:

You calculated rcm at the beginning of that last post. However, the dog is 8 m from shore, not 12 m, since it says "initially the dog is 8 m from shore."

Also, the boat's center of mass is located at the center of the boat.

Related to How Far is the Dog from Shore After Walking the Length of the Boat?

1. What is the definition of distance travelled by boat?

The distance travelled by boat refers to the total length of the route taken by a boat from its starting point to its destination. It takes into account any deviations or changes in direction during the journey.

2. How is the distance travelled by boat measured?

The distance travelled by boat is typically measured using nautical miles, which is a unit of measurement commonly used in navigation. Nautical miles are based on the circumference of the Earth and are equal to one minute of latitude.

3. What factors can affect the distance travelled by boat?

The distance travelled by boat can be affected by various factors such as weather conditions, ocean currents, tides, wind speed and direction, and the size and type of boat. These factors can impact the speed and direction of the boat, resulting in changes to the total distance travelled.

4. How accurate is the measurement of distance travelled by boat?

The accuracy of the measurement of distance travelled by boat depends on the method used for measurement. Using modern navigation equipment and techniques such as GPS can provide highly accurate measurements. However, factors such as human error or equipment malfunction can also affect the accuracy of the measurement.

5. Can the distance travelled by boat be affected by the route taken?

Yes, the distance travelled by boat can be affected by the route taken. For example, if a boat takes a longer route to avoid bad weather or to reach a specific destination, it will result in a longer distance travelled compared to a more direct route. Other factors, such as navigational errors or detours, can also impact the distance travelled by boat.