Distribution of Energy: Deriving T from m, V, v0, & θ

In summary, the conversation revolves around understanding a problem in Landau's mechanics related to the distribution of T. The goal is to get a distribution of T but the book's explanation is difficult to comprehend. With the help of another person, the individual was able to understand the problem and is now looking to help others who may be struggling.
abccdef125
Hi,
i´m reading Landau´s mechanics and in the 4th chapter in the part disintegration of particles (16) i can´t figure out the following thing. We have a function T=(1/2)m(V2)+(1/2)m(v02) + mVv0cos(θ) , where V and v0 are constant in this problem. We also know the distribution of θ which is (1/2)sinθdθ. The goal is to get a distribution of T. Could you please explain to me how to get it? The book derives it in a way i can´t understand. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
The trick is to understand what the distribution means - i.e. what would the "distribution of T" tell you, once you have it? What is the "distribution of ##\small \theta##" telling you?

Thanks, i went through it once more with your advice in mind and i finally understand it.

Well done :)

The next step is to find someone who is struggling and see if you can get them to understand.

Hello there,

The equation you provided for T is the total kinetic energy of a particle, which is the sum of its translational kinetic energy (1/2)m(V^2), its initial kinetic energy (1/2)m(v0^2), and the work done on the particle by a force F (mVv0cosθ). This equation is derived from the work-energy theorem, which states that the work done on a particle by a force is equal to the change in its kinetic energy.

To derive the distribution of T, we first need to understand the distribution of θ. In this case, it is given by (1/2)sinθdθ, which represents the probability of a particle having an angle θ within a small range of θ and is normalized to 1. This distribution is often referred to as the "solid angle" because it represents the area subtended by a cone with an angle θ.

To get the distribution of T, we need to integrate the total kinetic energy equation over all possible values of θ. This is because the distribution of θ represents all possible directions in which the particle can move, and we need to account for all of them.

Integrating (1/2)sinθdθ over all possible values of θ, we get 1, which means the distribution is normalized to 1. This makes sense because the probability of a particle having some angle θ must be equal to 1.

Next, we integrate the total kinetic energy equation over all possible values of θ. This gives us the distribution of T, which is a function of m, V, and v0. The resulting distribution is a probability distribution, which represents the probability of a particle having a certain kinetic energy T.

I hope this explanation helps you understand the derivation of the distribution of T in a more clear manner. If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask. Good luck with your studies!

1. What is the formula for deriving energy using mass, velocity, initial velocity, and angle?

The formula for deriving energy using mass, velocity, initial velocity, and angle is T = (1/2)m(v^2 - v0^2)cos^2θ, where T is the total energy, m is the mass, v is the final velocity, v0 is the initial velocity, and θ is the angle between the initial and final velocities.

2. How does the angle between initial and final velocities affect the distribution of energy?

The angle between initial and final velocities affects the distribution of energy by changing the value of cos^2θ in the formula. A smaller angle will result in a larger value for cos^2θ, meaning that more of the initial energy will be converted into kinetic energy. On the other hand, a larger angle will result in a smaller value for cos^2θ, meaning that less of the initial energy will be converted into kinetic energy.

3. What role does mass play in the distribution of energy?

Mass plays a crucial role in the distribution of energy as it is directly proportional to the total energy. This means that as mass increases, the total energy also increases. Therefore, the distribution of energy will be affected by changes in mass.

4. How does the initial velocity affect the distribution of energy?

The initial velocity affects the distribution of energy by changing the value of v0^2 in the formula. A higher initial velocity will result in a larger value for v0^2, meaning that more of the initial energy will be converted into kinetic energy. On the other hand, a lower initial velocity will result in a smaller value for v0^2, meaning that less of the initial energy will be converted into kinetic energy.

5. Can the distribution of energy be affected by external factors?

Yes, the distribution of energy can be affected by external factors such as friction, air resistance, and other forms of energy loss. These external factors can reduce the total energy and can also change the distribution of energy between kinetic and potential energy.