Answer "Find Divergence & Curl of Vector Field A

In summary, the vector field A = (x/(\sqrt{x^2 + y^2 + z^2}))i + (y/(\sqrt{x^2 + y^2 + z^2}))j + (z/(\sqrt{x^2 + y^2 + z^2}))k has a divergence and curl of 0, which is expected from its similarity to the electric field around a point charge and the conservative nature of the electric force.
gtfitzpatrick

Homework Statement

find the divergence and curl of the vector field

A = (x/([tex]\sqrt{x^2 + y^2 + z^2}[/tex]))i + (y/([tex]\sqrt{x^2 + y^2 + z^2}[/tex]))j + (z/([tex]\sqrt{x^2 + y^2 + z^2}[/tex]))k

Homework Statement

The Attempt at a Solution

Im not going to go through the whole lot but i have done the whole Differentiation but it would take for ever to input it into this.

and i got the curl to be 0i+0j+0k and the divergence to be 0, is this possible or likely?

Physics news on Phys.org
According to Mathematica, the curl is 0, but the divergence isn't.

gtfitzpatrick said:

Homework Statement

find the divergence and curl of the vector field

A = (x/([tex]\sqrt{x^2 + y^2 + z^2}[/tex]))i + (y/([tex]\sqrt{x^2 + y^2 + z^2}[/tex]))j + (z/([tex]\sqrt{x^2 + y^2 + z^2}[/tex]))k

Homework Statement

The Attempt at a Solution

Im not going to go through the whole lot but i have done the whole Differentiation but it would take for ever to input it into this.

and i got the curl to be 0i+0j+0k and the divergence to be 0, is this possible or likely?

[tex]\nabla \cdot \vec{A} = \frac{\partial}{\partial x}(\frac{x}{\sqrt{x^2 + y^2 + z^2}}) + \frac{\partial}{\partial y}(\frac{y}{\sqrt{x^2 + y^2 + z^2}}) + \frac{\partial}{\partial z}(\frac{z}{\sqrt{x^2 + y^2 + z^2}})[/tex]

All three terms are not zero.

I'm really really sorry, i inputed the question wrong here, the square root should be cubed like this

[tex]
\nabla \cdot \vec{A} = \frac{\partial}{\partial x}(\frac{x}{(\sqrt{x^2 + y^2 + z^2})^3}) + \frac{\partial}{\partial y}(\frac{y}{(\sqrt{x^2 + y^2 + z^2})^3}) + \frac{\partial}{\partial z}(\frac{z}{(\sqrt{x^2 + y^2 + z^2})^3})
[/tex]

thanks a million for the replys,but could you tell if mathematica gets 0 and 0 for the curl and div now, thanks

gtfitzpatrick said:
I'm really really sorry, i inputed the question wrong here, the square root should be cubed like this

[tex]
\nabla \cdot \vec{A} = \frac{\partial}{\partial x}(\frac{x}{(\sqrt{x^2 + y^2 + z^2})^3}) + \frac{\partial}{\partial y}(\frac{y}{(\sqrt{x^2 + y^2 + z^2})^3}) + \frac{\partial}{\partial z}(\frac{z}{(\sqrt{x^2 + y^2 + z^2})^3})
[/tex]

thanks a million for the replys,but could you tell if mathematica gets 0 and 0 for the curl and div now, thanks

Hi why do you need mathematica to do the div for you. Just do some simple mental sums, apply product rule to each partial. Anyway its pretty clear that the div is zero.

Yes, the div A and curl A both vanish, at least for [itex](x,y,z)\ne(0,0,0)[/itex].

If you've taken a course on electromagnetism, you might have noticed that

[tex]\vec{A} = \frac{1}{r^2}\hat{r}[/tex]

which is like the electric field around a point charge, so you'd expect the divergence to be zero away from the origin. Also, knowing the electric force is conservative, you would expect the curl to be zero as well.

1) What is divergence and curl of a vector field?

Divergence and curl are two mathematical operations used to describe the behavior of a vector field. Divergence measures the amount of flux flowing out of a point in a vector field, while curl measures the rotation of the field around that point.

2) Why is it important to find the divergence and curl of a vector field?

Finding the divergence and curl of a vector field can provide important information about the behavior and characteristics of the field. For example, divergence can help determine if a field is a source or sink of fluid, while curl can indicate the presence of vortices in the field.

3) How do you calculate the divergence of a vector field?

The divergence of a vector field can be calculated using the partial derivative of each component of the vector field with respect to its corresponding coordinate. The sum of these partial derivatives gives the overall divergence at a specific point in the field.

4) How do you calculate the curl of a vector field?

The curl of a vector field can be calculated using the cross product of the gradient operator and the vector field. This results in a vector that represents the amount and direction of the rotation at a specific point in the field.

5) What are some real-world applications of finding the divergence and curl of a vector field?

The concepts of divergence and curl are used in many fields, including fluid dynamics, electromagnetics, and quantum mechanics. For example, the divergence and curl of a fluid flow can help predict the behavior of weather patterns, and the curl of an electric field can determine the strength and direction of magnetic fields.