1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Divergence Meaning

1. Feb 19, 2009 #1
    1. I was just trying to understand what divergence means so I hope someone can help me out.

Well from what I have read if I take a vector field and use an infinitesimal region, if the vector going in is smaller than the vector going out there is positive divergence.

Does this mean if i make a circle with UNIT VECTORS there is ZERO divergence. Because `what is going in`, is the same as going out,

[URL][PLAIN]http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/9028/31455816et8.jpg [Broken]

If they were NOT unit vectors or vector of the same magnitude then there Would be divergence? is that the correct concept?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi salman213! :smile:

If you mean unit vectors all going out from a particular point, and a small circle round that point, then there is divergence, because all the vectors are going out of the circle.

Zero divergence means conservation of whatever-it-is …

often you have zero divergence everywhere except at "sources" and "sinks" …

eg an electric field with zero divergence except at the "singularities" where point charges are.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook