Flux Calculation for Radial Vector Field through Domain Boundary

In summary, the author is trying to find the outward flux of the radial vector field F(x,y,z) = x i^ + y j^ + z k^ through the boundary of domain in R^3 given by two inequalities x^2 + y^2 + z^2 ≤ 2 and z ≥ x^2 + y^2. They use the divergence theorem and find that the answer is 6.78.
s3a

Homework Statement

Find the outward flux of the radial vector field F(x,y,z) = x i^ + y j^ + z k^ through the boundary of domain in R^3 given by two inequalities x^2 + y^2 + z^2 ≤ 2 and z ≥ x^2 + y^2.

Homework Equations

Divergence theorem: ∫∫_S Fn^ = ∫∫∫_D div F dV

The Attempt at a Solution

Is the final answer correct in TheSolution.jpg (because I get 2*pi/3 * (2^(3/2) - 1) - pi/2)?

If someone could check if I'm right or wrong, I would REALLY appreciate it!

Attachments

• TheSolution.jpg
    TheSolution.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 350
Physics news on Phys.org
Actually, I get π * [2(2^[3/2] - 1) - 3/2] (where my answer's 2^[3/2] differs with the √(2) in the attachment).

Last edited:
There appears to be a typo near the front of the answer. That ##2## should not be in front of the divergence integral.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Are the parts where the author begins to use the letter "t" and, most importantly, the final answer correct?

Actually, my answer (from the second post in this thread) is the same as three times yours, so it appears that I was correct and that the solution was incorrect.

I'm posting my latest work, just in case I'm right by fluke (so please confirm).

Attachments

• MyOwnWork.pdf
    53.2 KB · Views: 181
  • ComparingWolframAlphaAnswerToMine.pdf
    53 KB · Views: 169
Sorry about that. I forgot the 3 so the answer should be 6.78.

That's the same thing I got (and not what the solution that I attached in my first post in this thread got).

It must not have seemed like a lot to you, but your confirmation was very helpful to me, so thanks for helping me confirm! :)

Wolfram is good for self error checking, but matlab's dblquad and triplequad functions are also a very good option.

Thanks as well for mentioning those, but I meant having another human being to confirm was useful, because I'm stressed and exhausted and studying for exams, so I wanted to make sure I wasn't making a mistake in the setup of the computation (because one makes more mistakes when stressed and/or exhausted).

1. What is the divergence theorem problem?

The divergence theorem, also known as Gauss's theorem, is a mathematical tool used in vector calculus to relate surface integrals and volume integrals. It states that the flux of a vector field through a closed surface is equal to the volume integral of the divergence of that field over the region inside the surface.

2. What is the significance of the divergence theorem problem?

The divergence theorem is a fundamental concept in vector calculus that has many applications in physics and engineering. It allows for the simplification of complex problems involving vector fields and is essential in the study of fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and other areas of science.

3. How is the divergence theorem problem solved?

The divergence theorem problem is typically solved by first identifying the closed surface and the vector field involved. The next step is to calculate the divergence of the vector field and then perform a volume integral over the region enclosed by the surface. The result should be equal to the surface integral of the vector field over the surface.

4. What are the prerequisites for understanding the divergence theorem problem?

A strong understanding of vector calculus, including concepts such as gradient, divergence, and curl, is necessary to comprehend the divergence theorem problem. A familiarity with multivariable calculus and knowledge of basic physics principles is also helpful.

5. What are some real-world applications of the divergence theorem problem?

The divergence theorem has various practical applications, including calculating fluid flow rates in pipes, analyzing electric and magnetic fields, and solving problems in heat transfer and diffusion. It is also used in analyzing the behavior of fluids in complex systems, such as ocean currents and weather patterns.