Divergence Theorem: Show 0 Integral on Closed Surface

In summary, the divergence theorem states that the flux through a region is the total of the flux through each of its component vectors. The theorem is valid if the surface on which the vectors are integrated is closed.
sszabo
In h.m. schey, div grad curl and all that, II-25:
Use the divergence theorem to show that
[tex]\int\int_S \hat{\mathbf{n}}\,dS=0,[/tex]
where [tex]S[/tex] is a closed surface and
[tex]\hat{\mathbf{n}}[/tex] the unit vector
normal to the surface [tex]S[/tex].
How should I understand the l.h.s. ?
Coordinatewise? The r.h.s. is not 0, but zero vector?

Physics news on Phys.org
the divergence is the total flux through the region. it is not a vector.
your calculation of divergence integrates the inner product of the flow with the unit normal to the surface. this inner product is a scalar.

wofsy said:
the divergence is the total flux through the region. it is not a vector.
your calculation of divergence integrates the inner product of the flow with the unit normal to the surface. this inner product is a scalar.
Right. However in the l.h.s. we have a vector [tex]\hat{\mathbf{n}}[/tex] and not an inner product which would be a scalar. I can integrate only vector-variable scalar-valued functions on a surface and not a vector-valued function.
So what does it mean?

If the surface is closed, intuitively, the unit normals should "sum" to the 0 vector (generalizing the fact that on a "nice" closed curve, summing the normals should lead to no displacement). This should then be proven properly.

sszabo said:
Right. However in the l.h.s. we have a vector [tex]\hat{\mathbf{n}}[/tex] and not an inner product which would be a scalar. I can integrate only vector-variable scalar-valued functions on a surface and not a vector-valued function.
So what does it mean?

The integral of the unit normal is just a vector, the result of a Riemann sum of vectors.
But this is not the divergence theorem.

slider142 said:
If the surface is closed, intuitively, the unit normals should "sum" to the 0 vector (generalizing the fact that on a "nice" closed curve, summing the normals should lead to no displacement). This should then be proven properly.
I see. Yes, indeed, the answer -intuitively- is the 0 vector.
It means
[tex]
\int\int_S \hat{\mathbf{n}}\,dS=\left( \int\int_S n_1\,dS,\int\int_S n_2\,dS,\int\int_S n_3\,dS\right),
[/tex]
where [tex]\hat{\mathbf{n}}=(n_1,n_2,n_3)[/tex].
Now [tex]n_1=\left\langle \mathbf{i},\hat{\mathbf{n}} \right\rangle[/tex] and here we can use the divergence theorem to obtain
[tex]\int\int_S n_1\,dS=\int\int_S \left\langle \mathbf{i},\hat{\mathbf{n}} \right\rangle \,dS=\int_V div\, \mathbf{i}\, dV=0,
[/tex]
because [tex]div\, \mathbf{i}=0[/tex]. Nice result.
Thanks for your helps.

Last edited:
sszabo said:
I see. Yes, indeed, the answer -intuitively- is the 0 vector.
It means
[tex]
\int\int_S \hat{\mathbf{n}}\,dS=\left( \int\int_S n_1\,dS,\int\int_S n_2\,dS,\int\int_S n_3\,dS\right),
[/tex]
where [tex]\hat{\mathbf{n}}=(n_1,n_2,n_3)[/tex].
Now [tex]n_1=\left\langle \mathbf{i},\hat{\mathbf{n}} \right\rangle[/tex] and here we can use the divergence theorem to obtain
[tex]\int\int_S n_1\,dS=\int\int_S \left\langle \mathbf{i},\hat{\mathbf{n}} \right\rangle \,dS=\int_V div\, \mathbf{i}\, dV=0,
[/tex]
because [tex]div\, \mathbf{i}=0[/tex]. Nice result.
Thanks for your helps.

no. your your three integrals are integrals of vectors not inner products.

wofsy said:
no. your three integrals are integrals of vectors not inner products.
Sorry, I absolutely don't understand what you think. Please, give more details, for example point out the wrong step in the calculations. Thanks.

I'm just saying that n1 n2 and n3 are inner products and thus are scalars. Originally you wanted to integrate a vector. Splitting into components still requires keeping the basis vectors in the integral. I don't think you did this. Instead I thing you substituted scalars.Unless I don't understand your post.

wofsy said:
I'm just saying that n1 n2 and n3 are inner products and thus are scalars.
Agree.
Originally you wanted to integrate a vector.
Agree.
Splitting into components still requires keeping the basis vectors in the integral.
Of course.
I don't think you did this.
Certainly a similar calculation gives
[tex]
\int\int_S n_2\,dS=\int\int_S \left\langle \mathbf{j},\hat{\mathbf{n}} \right\rangle \,dS=\int_V div\, \mathbf{j}\, dV=0,
[/tex]
and
[tex]
\int\int_S n_3\,dS=\int\int_S \left\langle \mathbf{k},\hat{\mathbf{n}} \right\rangle \,dS=\int_V div\, \mathbf{k}\, dV=0
[/tex]
Instead I thing you substituted scalars.Unless I don't understand your post.
The final result, the value of the original integral is [tex]\mathbf{0}[/tex].

1. What is the Divergence Theorem?

The Divergence Theorem is a mathematical theorem that relates the flow of a vector field through a closed surface to the divergence of the vector field within the enclosed volume.

2. Why is the Divergence Theorem important?

The Divergence Theorem is important because it provides a way to relate the flow of a vector field through a closed surface to the behavior of the vector field within the enclosed volume. This is useful in many applications, such as fluid dynamics and electromagnetism.

3. How is the Divergence Theorem used in physics?

The Divergence Theorem is used in physics to understand the behavior of vector fields, such as fluid flow and electromagnetic fields. It allows for the calculation of flux, which is the amount of a vector quantity passing through a given surface.

4. What does it mean to "show 0 integral on closed surface" in the Divergence Theorem?

Showing 0 integral on closed surface in the Divergence Theorem means that the flux of the vector field passing through the closed surface is equal to 0. This indicates that there is no net flow of the vector field through the surface.

5. What are some practical applications of the Divergence Theorem?

The Divergence Theorem has many practical applications in various fields, including fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and heat transfer. It is used to calculate the flow of fluids through pipes, the behavior of electromagnetic fields around conductors, and the transfer of heat in a system.