Diverging lenses + mirrors

• Thread starter BogMonkey
  • Start date
I noticed that for converging devices the size and orientation of the image formed depends on whether the object is located inside or outside the focal point and center of curvature. I also read that no matter where the object is with respect to a diverging lense the image formed will always be shrunken and inverted. Why would the object be shrunken if the device disperses rays? Is it all a matter of the angle at which the light hits the retina?

Answers and Replies

I noticed that for converging devices the size and orientation of the image formed depends on whether the object is located inside or outside the focal point and center of curvature. I also read that no matter where the object is with respect to a diverging lense the image formed will always be shrunken and inverted. Why would the object be shrunken if the device disperses rays? Is it all a matter of the angle at which the light hits the retina?

It's a matter of geometry.
The rays are deflected such that the image is always between the lens and the object, no matter where the object is.
See here
http://www.edumedia-sciences.com/en/a294-diverging-lens