Do I need to convert wavelength to meters

In summary, converting wavelength to meters is important for easier measurement and comparison of electromagnetic radiation in scientific or engineering applications. This can be done using the formula λ = c/f or by using online conversion tools or charts. While wavelength can be measured in other units, converting to meters is often necessary for consistency and accuracy when working with electromagnetic radiation. Other types of radiation, such as sound waves, may not require conversion to meters.
KatieLynn

Homework Statement

The sound emitted by bats has a wavelength of 3.5mm. What is the sound's frequency in air? Assume that the bat is flying through air with a temperature of 30 degrees C.

Homework Equations

V=331.4 + 0.6*Temp.C
V=wavelength*frequency

The Attempt at a Solution

V= 331.4 + 0.6(30)
V=349.4m/s

V=wavelength*frequency

349.7m/s=0.0035*f
f=99829.6hz

The only thing I'm not sure about is did I need to change the 3.5mm to .0035m?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes you do.

thank you :)

Related to Do I need to convert wavelength to meters

1. What is the purpose of converting wavelength to meters?

Converting wavelength to meters allows for easier measurement and comparison of electromagnetic radiation. It also helps to standardize units for scientific calculations and experiments.

2. When should I convert wavelength to meters?

Wavelength should be converted to meters when working with electromagnetic radiation, such as light or radio waves, in scientific or engineering applications. This allows for more accurate and consistent measurements.

3. How do I convert wavelength to meters?

To convert wavelength to meters, you can use the formula λ = c/f, where λ is the wavelength in meters, c is the speed of light in meters per second, and f is the frequency in hertz. Alternatively, you can use an online conversion tool or consult a conversion chart.

4. Can I use other units besides meters for wavelength?

Yes, wavelength can also be measured in other units such as nanometers, micrometers, or angstroms. However, for consistency and ease of comparison, it is often converted to meters in scientific settings.

5. Is it necessary to convert wavelength to meters for all types of radiation?

No, not all types of radiation require conversion to meters. For example, sound waves are commonly measured in frequency (hertz) or period (seconds). However, for electromagnetic radiation, converting to meters is important for accurate measurement and comparison.