Do I use a system of equations for this projectile motion?

In summary, Chuck Norris kicks a basketball 150m away and 6m above the ground, at a 39 degree angle. To find the time it takes for the ball to reach the net, we can use the equations for horizontal and vertical motion. By solving for the initial velocity, we can then use that to calculate the time it takes for the ball to reach the net. The equations used are X1=X0+v0t+1/2at^2 and Voy=v0Sin(39). Tangent does not replace sine and cosine in this case.
phantomcow2
1. Chuck Norris kicks a basketball from the ground into a basketball hoop, it makes it in perfectly. THe hoop is 150m away, and 6m above the ground. He kicks the ball at a 39 degree angle. How long does it take for the ball to reach the net? What was the initial velocity?

2. X1=X0+v0t+1/2at^2

3. So breaking it down, I know that Vox = v0cos(39)
And that voy= v0Sin(39

Doesn't that mean I use the tangent function? Can somebody jumpstart my memory? :frown:

Physics news on Phys.org
A little background:
As a homework assignment, we were told to make up a moderate problem and share with the class as a review for upcoming midterms. I solved one of these a few months ago and cannot remember at all how.

Your components of velocity are correct. Try writing your equation out twice; once for vertical and once for horizontal motion.

phantomcow2 said:
2. X1=X0+v0t+1/2at^2
That's a good generic equation. Hint: Write separate equations for the horizontal and vertical motions. (How do they differ?)

3. So breaking it down, I know that Vox = v0cos(39)
And that voy= v0Sin(39

This is good. Combine this with the above equations and you'll be able to solve for V0.

Once you write the equation for the horizontal motion, try to solve it to get [itex]v_0t[/itex] and substitute it in the equation for verticle motion. This will give you time! Try it!

So
150=0+v0Sin(39) + 1/2*0*t^2
6=0+v0Cos(39) + 1/2*-9.81t^2

From here, doesn't tangent end up replacing Sin and Cosine though?

phantomcow2 said:
So
150=0+v0Sin(39) + 1/2*0*t^2
6=0+v0Cos(39) + 1/2*-9.81t^2
You've mixed up your sines and cosines.

From here, doesn't tangent end up replacing Sin and Cosine though?
No. You know the sine and cosine, so they are just numbers. Combine the two equations and solve for v0.

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion refers to the motion of an object that is projected into the air and then moves under the influence of gravity. This type of motion follows a curved path, known as a parabola.

2. When should I use a system of equations for projectile motion?

A system of equations is typically used for projectile motion when the motion involves both horizontal and vertical components. This is because the motion in each direction follows a different equation and needs to be considered separately.

3. How does a system of equations help with projectile motion?

A system of equations allows you to solve for both the horizontal and vertical components of projectile motion simultaneously. This helps to accurately predict the trajectory, velocity, and other characteristics of the object's motion.

4. What are the equations used in a system of equations for projectile motion?

The equations used in a system of equations for projectile motion are the equations of motion, which include the equations for displacement, velocity, and acceleration in both the horizontal and vertical directions. These equations can be derived from the principles of kinematics.

5. Are there any simplifications or assumptions made in using a system of equations for projectile motion?

Yes, there are some simplifications and assumptions made in using a system of equations for projectile motion. These include assuming a constant gravitational acceleration, neglecting air resistance, and assuming a flat, horizontal surface for the motion to occur on. These assumptions may not hold true in real-world situations, but they allow for a simpler and more manageable calculation of the projectile's motion.