Do we move in the Universe? Or is everything stationary

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
32 replies · 7K views
I was was not including the interference of gravity, but I like the discussion. I was more leaning towards the frame of reference of each body of mass to the universe.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: ExecNight
Physics news on Phys.org
Jaami M. said:
I was more leaning towards the frame of reference of each body of mass to the universe.

I think the point of the previous discussion is that there is no such thing in any absolute sense. We can construct reasonable definitions of what it means to be "moving with respect to the universe" (for example, vanhees71's suggestion that "moving" means "not seeing the CMBR as isotropic"), but no one of them can be singled out as "the" definition of what it means to be "moving". It all depends on your choice of coordinates and what problem you are trying to solve.
 
Jaami M. said:
I was was not including the interference of gravity, but I like the discussion. I was more leaning towards the frame of reference of each body of mass to the universe.

Then in this context, the answers you got from previous posters are correct. My thought process only applies to your experiment where i take into account the gravity of the masses.

I was never against what PeterDonis was suggesting, he is writing in the context of reality. Which i agree is in the spirit of the forum. I just found the idea that i suggested interesting to think about.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Jaami M.