Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Do you eat rice?

1. Oct 23, 2004 #1
    Rice is the major food of Asians.

But whitepeople seldom eat rice.

Do you eat rice?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2004 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I love rice, I could eat it every day.

4. Oct 23, 2004 #3

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Not this whiteboy!

I love cajun food and soul food. I eat red beans and rice, dirty rice (that's cajun style), brown rice, chicken and rice, etc... on a regular basis. I also like rice pudding. :tongue:

5. Oct 23, 2004 #4
    I am an Asian American, and live in Asia. I eat rice everyday for dinner. but sometimes I would like to try some western food (Eg, bread for breakfast, and maybe other wester food for lunch at school) because rice does not taste that good if we eat it three times a day.

6. Oct 23, 2004 #5
    I despise rice. It has no taste. It feels as if i am inhaling air and pretending to chew something.

7. Oct 23, 2004 #6

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'd have to agree about plain white rice, but not brown rice. Also, what you probably don't know is that plain white rice has this wonderful quality of absorbing the flavor of whatever you cook it in. Last Sunday my friends and I made a good cajun dinner, and one of them (my roommate) made this incredible spicy rice dish that could have been a main course in itself.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2004
  8. Oct 23, 2004 #7

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I eat rice probably four times a week or more. I don't eat plain white rice by itself -- it's almost always soaked up some kind of sauce. Rice soaked in panang curry sauce is to die for. Oh, and I'm a white person.

Saint, you really need to stop making so many sweeping generalizations. You really seem to be almost always wrong.

- Warren

9. Oct 23, 2004 #8
    Could it be considered immoral for whitemen to eat white rice?

I have consumed great quantities of rice over the course of my life. I like it tacky, greasy, watery, even slightly crunchy from over-cooking. Did I hear Tom say 'red beans...', mmmmm, such is a spice of life!

10. Oct 23, 2004 #9

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I like the kind with the peas in it at the Indian Food restaurant. I also like white rice piled high with Korean Bulgogi Beef and hot chili paste. :cool:

11. Oct 23, 2004 #10

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hey Saint - do you ever eat cornbread and chitlin's?

12. Oct 23, 2004 #11
    I eat rice constantly. White rice, brown rice and basmati(sp) are my favorites. Basmati and White are both close together.

Then sauces: Soy Sauce, Hot Sauce, Cream and Chicken Soup, Butter Chicken Sauce. Anyone of those are good, mixing the sauces is great too.

13. Oct 23, 2004 #12
    I eat rice at least 5 times a week. (Arabic food!)

14. Oct 23, 2004 #13
    I love rice!!!

Don't they process it differently here in American than they do in Asia, though?

15. Oct 23, 2004 #14

Janitor

Science Advisor

As luck would have it, I am at this very moment microwaving something called 'Chicken enchilada suiza' which includes Mexican (spicy) rice.

For some reason I just had a flashback to my childhood. In those days the drugstore sold a little plastic box containing a dozen "Mexican jumping beans." Mom would never buy that for me, because she said she didn't want bugs getting into the house. The bean hopped around because it had some sort of active insect living inside of it, eating its way out, kind of like how a chick pecks its way out of the egg, I guess.

16. Oct 23, 2004 #15

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I'm with you Janitor, I like those frozen enchilada suizas. My favorite way to eat rice is with chile verde and refried beans at my local Mexican resturant. Their chili verde is special, and hot! both ways.

17. Oct 23, 2004 #16

Janitor

Science Advisor

Refried and totally free of insects--I hear you, man.

18. Oct 23, 2004 #17
    I'm an Asian and I don't know any Asians who eat plain white rice all on its own. There is NO taste in that kind of rice. Most people I know cook dishes with lots of gravy to add to their rice. For most of the week, this is what I have, except on Sundays when we have wholemeal bread the whole day with baked beans, sausages, etc.

I guess this probably explains the cheap living expenditure, Evo. :tongue2:

19. Oct 23, 2004 #18

Tsu

Gold Member

All rice, any rice, any time.

20. Oct 23, 2004 #19
    I eat rice every day

21. Oct 24, 2004 #20

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Mmmm...rice is good. It goes really well with any dish that has a lot of sauce or juice. I don't like plain rice, but mix anything with it, and it's very yummy. Aside from white rice and brown rice, I really like risotto, though that takes more attention than regular rice. I have all sorts of rice in my cabinets at home...regular long grain, jasmine rice, nishiki rice (I think that's the name of it...the Japanese short grain rice for sushi), and brown rice. Mixing together brown rice and wild rice, which isn't actually rice but looks like it, and some walnuts and sauteed mushrooms and onions makes a tasty side dish.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?