Do you feel safer with self-driving cars on the road?

In summary, the conversation discusses the limitations and potential benefits of self-driving cars. Some individuals are skeptical and believe that human drivers are still necessary for safe driving, while others argue that self-driving cars could potentially improve safety on the road. The conversation also touches on the idea of feeling safe versus actually being safe, and the potential for self-driving cars to handle complex situations involving pedestrians. There is also mention of the development and progress of self-driving car technology, and differing opinions on when it will become widely adopted.

Do you feel safer with self-driving cars on the road?

• Yes

Votes: 31 41.3%
  • No

Votes: 37 49.3%
  • No opinion

Votes: 7 9.3%

• Total voters
Aufbauwerk 2045
As a AI programmer, among other things, I know the limitations of the technology. So I vote No to this question. For one thing, safe driving demands being able to think ahead and anticipate situations which sensors do not pick up.

Likes jsgruszynski
Computer science news on Phys.org
Aufbauwerk 2045 said:
For one thing, safe driving demands being able to think ahead and anticipate situations which sensors do not pick up.
Which unfortunately many human drivers do not pick up either ... The question needs to be answered not only taking the AI into account, but also the capabilities of the typical human driver. For example, an AI will never drink and drive or tire during a long journey.

Likes Stavros Kiri, M Saad and NFuller
Responding to the question strictly as asked, I've voted no.
Self-driving cars are still too small a fraction of cars on the road to improve my safety.

I eagerly await their widespread adoption.
It is only a matter of time.

Likes Demystifier, Grinkle, M Saad and 1 other person
The poll asks about feeling safer. That's not the same thing as being safer.

Likes ISamson, M Saad and CalcNerd
Nugatory said:
That depends on how logical the person responding is.

I answered yes because statistically you are generally safer with self-driving cars on the road (replacing drivers), but there are conditions where it is safer and other conditions where it is less safe to be around a self-driving car. And the differences and uncertainty are - for the less logical - causes of negative feelings.

Likes Buzz Bloom and M Saad
jackwhirl said:
Responding to the question strictly as asked, I've voted no.
Self-driving cars are still too small a fraction of cars on the road to improve my safety.

I eagerly await their widespread adoption.
It is only a matter of time.
I agree and would answer "Not yet". AI can't help you when a drunk/texting driver blows through a stop light and t-bones you. I would feel safer if all cars were computer operated (unlikely to happen in my lifetime).

Last edited:
Well, the positive is that freeways have nowhere near as many signs, that often throw off self-driving cars, as do streets. And, if I'm right about the statistics, most people who die from car crashes have accidents that take place on freeways (high-speed collisions), where self-driving cars do best.

Likes M Saad
Do I trust them now? Heck no. I won't be on board first or second generation, but third generation I'm all in baby! Can't wait to push that button and take a nap.

Likes Buzz Bloom, Stavros Kiri, Demystifier and 3 others
Yeah, I want one of those things that look like a door, then you press the button and put your PIN into it and then arrive where you want in no time at all.
I voted no becuz there are crazy feckers out there, wantin' ta rob you identity and that

Last edited:
True. But whether we will actually be safer depends on many factors, not just the cars themselves. They are part of a system. Meanwhile I am curious how people react to the idea of self driving cars.

In my case I've avoided several accidents over the last few years by thinking ahead and taking what I know about human behavior into account. I'm thinking specifically about avoiding running into pedestrians, including children or drunk people who are not watching out for themselves. I'm talking about some very complex situations in crowded areas, or situations where people can't be seen until they jump out in front of you.

Of course, it's theoretically possible to set up a system in which the only driving situations allowed are those the self-driving cars could cope with. Maybe not going quite as controlled as the Disneyland Autopia, but maybe not far from that.

Nugatory said:

Likes M Saad
Me too. Actually I want a Tardis.

rootone said:
Yeah, I want one of those things that look like a door, then you press the button and put your PIN into it and then arrive where you want in no time at all.

Aufbauwerk 2045 said:
Me too. Actually I want a Tardis.
Yeah, a good model, but the best one is the elevator in hitch hikers guide to the galaxy.
Don't forget your towel though.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Do I trust them now? Heck no. I won't be on board first or second generation, but third generation I'm all in baby! Can't wait to push that button and take a nap.

You can always get one of those kids beds that look like a sports car until the third gen comes along.

858100_002.jpg

It's self driving at least I don't see a steering wheel, brakes or seat belts.

Likes Jetflyer0, Auto-Didact, ISamson and 5 others
I would vote yes but like Greg would wait for the third generation as early pioneers often receive lots more arrows.

Aufbauwerk 2045 said:
In my case I've avoided several accidents over the last few years by thinking ahead and taking what I know about human behavior into account. I'm thinking specifically about avoiding running into pedestrians, including children or drunk people who are not watching out for themselves. I'm talking about some very complex situations in crowded areas, or situations where people can't be seen until they jump out in front of you.
I imagine the developers of self driving cars are well aware of issues like this. I feel like this would be a good application of machine learning.

I voted yes because I think a lot of us overestimate our abilities. Driving often involves a lot of mundane tasks performed repeatedly with occasional sudden reactions to avoid an accident. This is something people are incredibly bad at but computers are better at. They can perform a task over and over again then switch to a different task without hesitation.

This will certainty be difficult to program since there are so many ways things can go wrong on the road, but I imagine it won't be long before computers become statistically much better drivers than humans.

Likes M Saad and Orodruin
jedishrfu said:
You can always get...
Lol, back in my day, they were real... and we called them "sleepers" .

And if you didn't have one, when you really did go to sleep, you still dreamed about... having one .

I voted No.
- I feel as safe as I will ever feel, like most people I do not get into a car expecting to be in an accident ( same for a bus, plane, train, bicycle, walking, etc )
- sensors will foul up under adverse conditions, or electrical mechanical failure, drivers will ( have to ) revert to manual override ( or will the car stop in the middle of the road ). Imagine an operator going manual with no experience behind the wheel - what's this button do? Or the car shutting down in the middle of nowhere - check the service manual ie your screwed.
- snow, sleet, rain, mud, black ice, locust swarm - self driving will perform better than some drivers, and worse than others. Where on the curve of 'defensive' driving will it be.
- I still have to fill up with gas, clean the windshield, ( windscreen in Britain ), check the oil, check the tires, check the headlights, tail lights, and running lights,and get a 50 point inspection - some of which I may or may not do already. Self driving won't make me have instantly a better vehicle maintenance intelligence so that a safe car is on the road.

One safer area, I think, is mishaps with a pedestrian. I would say that most drivers behind the wheel look for cars to evade. A self driving unit would check for cars, and we hope, people, and other things. Ever see the video of people tossing a basketball between themselves? At the end, the question comes up: Did you see the guy in the monkey suit strolling across. Human viewers in a majority miss the monkey suit.

Likes M Saad
Do you feel safer with:
  • disc brakes instead of drums;
  • seat belts;
  • glass laminated windshields;
  • air bags;
  • energy-absorbing crumple zones;
  • ABS brakes.
If you think you need driverless vehicles to feel safer than it is now, you probably will never feel safe.

Personally, the only thing that made a notable difference in safety in my lifetime is the major improvement in tire construction. Today's tires stick to road a lot better than they used to and that is the only thing that really makes me feel safer.

Likes jim hardy
jack action said:
Personally, the only thing that made a notable difference in safety in my lifetime is the major improvement in tire construction. Today's tires stick to road a lot better than they used to and that is the only thing that really makes me feel safer.
I'm sure there are types of crashes where we are much safer, but at the end of the day nothings going to save you from a pickup t-boning you driver side.

The demand for safe, self driving vehicles will be triggered by the promise of reduced liability insurance rates. Safety will also be improved by the same promise. So if the question is forward-looking I would say yes, if present-looking, no. Since I cannot tell, no opinion.

Likes M Saad
About thinking ahead : Human can recognize drunk people attempting to cross the road, the machine cant.

Likes ISamson
On average people get in a crash about once every 100,000 miles and Google's self driving cars have driven over 3 million miles and that's in the city, I agree that I would trust myself with my life more than a computer but this ideology is going to delay the self driving car movement. We should be optimistic for self driving cars because imagine if our roads were filled with self driving cars, it would save lives, help with traffic, and help the movement of electric cars which would help the world move away from oil. As far as coding limitations? I haven't seen anyone talk about limitations of coding, the coding seems fairly simple and a computer can make millions of decisions in a matter of seconds, personally the only crashes I've been in could have been avoided with a self driving car

Likes Stavros Kiri
UWouldKnow said:
the only crashes I've been in could have been avoided with a self driving car
I can add one to that statistic. The only accident I was involved in I was standing still behind another car entering a parking. Apparently they changed their mind and decided to back out of the parking. The very young driver had trusted his friends saying "all clear". A self driving car would not have done that.

Likes atyy, Stavros Kiri and UWouldKnow
Yes I do feel kind of safe, and I do want to kind of want to trust them, but I will feel a lot safer and almost trust them completely when/if, perhaps in the near future (by 2020 or so), as part of the internet of things, all(?) cars will be self-driving and controlled/coordinated via a superfast 5G mobile net, to avoid all accidents (in highways, city and rural roads etc.) ...

Last edited:
Likes UWouldKnow
Am I the only one who likes driving?

I really don't find that appealing this future that some are trying to sell where I'll be sitting in a box that moves me around. What the the heck is the point to live if I'm just a piece of meat that gets to be moved around?

I like making decisions for myself on a daily basis (with all the quirks that comes with it), that is what makes me feel alive. I really dislike this tangent society is taking where apparently everyone else - and now everything else - knows what's best for me. Why would I need to do anything at all, then? What will become my motivation of getting up in the morning?

(Sorry if this goes slightly off topic).

Likes JCMacaw, krater, Dan8420 and 1 other person
Orodruin said:
Which unfortunately many human drivers do not pick up either ... The question needs to be answered not only taking the AI into account, but also the capabilities of the typical human driver. For example, an AI will never drink and drive or tire during a long journey.

jack action said:

I really don't find that appealing this future that some are trying to sell where I'll be sitting in a box that moves me around. What the the heck is the point to live if I'm just a piece of meat that gets to be moved around?
But the question was not whether or not you would like having a self-driving car, the question was whether or not you feel safer.

Orodruin said:
But the question was not whether or not you would like having a self-driving car, the question was whether or not you feel safer.
I know and I apologized for it. Statistically, are driverless vehicles safer? Without being an expert on the subject, I'm pretty sure they are, i.e. less death and injuries. Do I feel safer? No, because I already feel safe. Even with the actual 1-2% chance that I will die into a car accident. There are still twice as many people dying because of work related accidents (traffic accidents, work accidents).

The best way to avoid death and injuries is to put people into cages, like zoo animals. But is this a desired outcome? Doesn't it come with other disadvantages? Going towards the driverless vehicles sure makes me feel like being put in a cage, with others caring for me, and that worries me on the other impacts that seem to be overlooked. So the «safe» feeling is really not achieved for my part, just not related to death and injuries point of view.

But maybe some will find I go too far in my thinking.

Likes atyy
jack action said:

You've never been a passenger? You pilot your own plane too? I like all kinds of travelling. Driving is only part ... for most of us anyway. See my point?

Frenemy90210 said:
About thinking ahead : Human can recognize drunk people attempting to cross the road, the machine cant.
I think you'd be surprised what machines can be taught to recognize.

Likes ISamson and Stavros Kiri
What seems to be currently happening is an increase in driver assists. Warnings about objects nearby when changing lanes or backing up. Cars that warn a driver and/or automatically apply the brakes to avoid collisions. Smart cruise control that can slow down to a stop and continue (usually resume is needed if actually stopped).

My wife's car has most of these features. One issue is the lane change warning can get triggered by construction like repaved sections of road of different colors that don't follow the actual lane.

Stavros Kiri said:
You've never been a passenger?
When I was a kid, I was one all the time and couldn't grow up fast enough to be in the driver seat.

Stavros Kiri said:
You pilot your own plane too?
If I had to use one, I wish I would pilot it!

Stavros Kiri said:
I like all kinds of travelling. Driving is only part ... for most of us anyway. See my point?
I know that I seem to become less and less part of «most of us». I'm questioning how good it is to live in a society built on the fear of «most of us». If my neighbors think that what I do (or don't do) is unsafe and I don't, should I always have to comply to his or her fear? I'm more afraid of that than having a car accident right now.

rcgldr said:
What seems to be currently happening is an increase in driver assists.
That's more acceptable than driverless, IMHO. Although I don't mind people having driverless vehicles if they want one. I just wish that we won't reach a point where that it is our only choice.

Likes atyy and Stavros Kiri
Frenemy90210 said:

Yes a human is very good at guessing whether it's quite safe to drive 50 km/h past pedestrians standing 1 m from the driveway.

My point is that it's not safe, but humans are doing it all the time. Of course pedestrians are getting killed all the time too.

jartsa said:
Yes a human is very good at guessing whether it's quite safe to drive 50 km/h past pedestrians standing 1 m from the driveway.

My point is that it's not safe, but humans are doing it all the time. Of course pedestrians are getting killed all the time too.
But I think the standard is: is it safer when humans do it? No method will be completely safe.

Likes Orodruin
<h2>1. How do self-driving cars ensure safety on the road?</h2><p>Self-driving cars use a variety of sensors, cameras, and algorithms to detect and respond to potential hazards on the road. These systems are constantly monitoring the car's surroundings and making decisions to avoid collisions.</p><h2>2. Are self-driving cars safer than human-driven cars?</h2><p>Studies have shown that self-driving cars have the potential to be significantly safer than human-driven cars. This is because they eliminate human error, which is responsible for the majority of car accidents.</p><h2>3. Can self-driving cars be hacked?</h2><p>Like any technology, self-driving cars have the potential to be hacked. However, car manufacturers are implementing strict cybersecurity measures to prevent this from happening. Additionally, self-driving cars have backup systems in place to ensure safety in case of a hack.</p><h2>4. How do self-driving cars handle unexpected situations?</h2><p>Self-driving cars are programmed to handle a wide range of unexpected situations, such as road construction, weather conditions, and other drivers' behaviors. They use advanced algorithms to analyze the situation and make the best decision to ensure safety on the road.</p><h2>5. What happens if a self-driving car malfunctions?</h2><p>Self-driving cars have backup systems in place to prevent malfunctions from causing accidents. In the rare case of a malfunction, the car will alert the driver and safely pull over to the side of the road. Additionally, manufacturers conduct rigorous testing and maintenance to minimize the chances of malfunctions occurring.</p>

1. How do self-driving cars ensure safety on the road?

Self-driving cars use a variety of sensors, cameras, and algorithms to detect and respond to potential hazards on the road. These systems are constantly monitoring the car's surroundings and making decisions to avoid collisions.

2. Are self-driving cars safer than human-driven cars?

Studies have shown that self-driving cars have the potential to be significantly safer than human-driven cars. This is because they eliminate human error, which is responsible for the majority of car accidents.

3. Can self-driving cars be hacked?

Like any technology, self-driving cars have the potential to be hacked. However, car manufacturers are implementing strict cybersecurity measures to prevent this from happening. Additionally, self-driving cars have backup systems in place to ensure safety in case of a hack.

4. How do self-driving cars handle unexpected situations?

Self-driving cars are programmed to handle a wide range of unexpected situations, such as road construction, weather conditions, and other drivers' behaviors. They use advanced algorithms to analyze the situation and make the best decision to ensure safety on the road.

5. What happens if a self-driving car malfunctions?

Self-driving cars have backup systems in place to prevent malfunctions from causing accidents. In the rare case of a malfunction, the car will alert the driver and safely pull over to the side of the road. Additionally, manufacturers conduct rigorous testing and maintenance to minimize the chances of malfunctions occurring.