Does Air Resistance Cause a Ball to Take Longer Falling Down Than Rising Up?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
yoyo16
Messages
35
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



If a ball is thrown upwards and lands in the same spot, would it take longer to reach max height or drop back down from the max height? Also use air resistance.

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



I believe that it would take longer for the object to fall back down. I think it is because that when throwing a ball upwards, gravity would be positive and for ex. if a ball was thrown with acceleration of 2m/s^2, you would add two to 9.8 which would help the ball go up faster while when falling down, the ball air resistance would be in the opposite direction causing the ball to fall back slowly. I'm not sure how to explain my answer properly. This is what I understand so far, if I'm not correct can someone please explain this too me.

Thanks,
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You are not correct.

First of all let's assume air resistance is a function of velocity and it creates a drag force in the opposite direction of motion.

Second, you can't throw anything with an acceleration once it leaves your hand. You can only accelerate it over the time your hand can continue to exert a force on it. Once it leaves your hand it will only have an initial velocity.

Do you know the kinematic equations of motion?
 
Last edited:
Yes. How would you use that when explaining the answer for this question?
 
yoyo16 said:
Yes. How would you use that when explaining the answer for this question?
I doubt that you will be able to account for your answer mathematically without resorting to the use of caculus. (By the way, air resistance always acts to oppose the motion.)

But perhaps you should ponder an extreme example. (Hint: terminal velocity)