Does Air Resistance Increase with Speed Due to Collisions with Air Particles?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between velocity and air resistance. The speaker explains that as the velocity increases, air resistance also increases due to an imbalance in local pressure and the resulting movement of air molecules. The speaker also suggests that opening your hand while sticking it out of a car window creates more air resistance than keeping it closed.
only me
I'm doing a data handling course work project. I've calculated various values for resistance and found that resistance increases as the speed of the body increases. I know that as the body is rolling very little of the force is friction, so most of it will be air resistance. i have an idea that the air resistance is increasing because as the body rolls faster it collides with more air particles. is this right and can anyone expand on this for me!

many thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Ever been in a car and stuck your hand out the window? What happened when you opened your palm fully in comparison to when your hand was parallel to your motion? Think of why that may be.

your open hand is hitting more air so you feel it more, but if your changing the velocity is the increase in air resistance because its hitting more air or because its hitting the same amount of air with a greater velocity (I'm half thinking about ideas of relative velocity and momentum and collisions now?).

I'm confusing myself again!

Well you are right, air resistance does increase with velocity. Think of it this way, you are hitting a bunch of air molecules with a certain velocity 'v1'. Those molecules will then travel back a bit by the force imparted on them by you and hit molecules behind them at a slightly smaller velocity 'v2' and so forth all the way to 'v_n' . Now the force will dissipate to zero pretty quickly in real life but that's the basic principle. Now if you hit those first molecules with a higher velocity, say twice as fast '2*v1', then v2 and v3 and so forth will take a much longer time to dissipate that energy.

The relationship with dissipating the energy and air resistance is that when you hit the air it creates an imbalance in local pressure, so the system must restore the pressure locally and does so by moving the air molecules around (away from your hand). By going faster you are creating a larger imbalance in pressure, and the result is more molecules jumping around trying to fix the problem.

What I was trying to say with the open and closed hand, is think how many molecules youd be hitting with your hand when its closed, not very many, since basically the width of your finger is the area that's displacing molecules. If you open yoru hand however, you are hitting a much larger amount of molecules and imparting a much larger force. I gave you a big hint in this paragraph on one of the most important factors of air resistance.

Thanks, very helpful!

1. What is air resistance?

Air resistance, also known as drag, is the force that opposes the motion of an object through air. It is caused by the collisions between the object and the air molecules in its path.

2. How is air resistance calculated?

Air resistance can be calculated using the formula F = 1/2 * ρ * v^2 * A * C, where F is the air resistance force, ρ is the density of air, v is the velocity of the object, A is the cross-sectional area of the object, and C is the drag coefficient.

3. What factors affect air resistance?

The factors that affect air resistance include the velocity of the object, the density of air, the cross-sectional area of the object, and the drag coefficient. Additionally, the shape, size, and surface texture of the object can also impact air resistance.

4. How does air resistance affect the motion of an object?

Air resistance can slow down the motion of an object by reducing its velocity. As an object moves faster, the air resistance force increases, making it more difficult for the object to maintain its speed.

5. How can air resistance be reduced?

Air resistance can be reduced by changing the shape, size, or surface texture of an object. For example, a streamlined shape can reduce air resistance by allowing air to flow smoothly around the object. Additionally, objects can also be coated with materials that reduce drag, such as special paints or lubricants.