Does gamma equal density in Kg/m^3?

In summary, the equation Fr='gamma'*distance from centroid*Area uses the weight density, represented by the symbol γ, which is equal to the mass density (ρ) multiplied by the acceleration due to gravity (g). This means that if the density is given in kg/m^3, it must be multiplied by 9.81 to get the correct answer in N/m^3.
Parsifal1
I want to use the equation:

Fr='gamma'*distance from centroid*Area

but the example is showing density in N/m^3

while I only have the density in kg/m^3

Does this mean I have to multiply it by 9.81 to get the right answer?

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Parsifal1 said:
I want to use the equation:

Fr='gamma'*distance from centroid*Area

but the example is showing density in N/m^3

while I only have the density in kg/m^3

Does this mean I have to multiply it by 9.81 to get the right answer?

Thanks.
γ is known as the 'weight density' of a substance. γ = ρ ⋅ g, where ρ is the mass density and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

SteamKing said:
γ is known as the 'weight density' of a substance. γ = ρ ⋅ g, where ρ is the mass density and g is the acceleration due to gravity.
So, pgh is expressed in N/m^3 as opposed to Kg/m^3?

Parsifal1 said:
So, pgh is expressed in N/m^3 as opposed to Kg/m^3?
No. Re-read Post #2 again carefully and then work out the units of ρgh versus just ρg.

1. What is gamma?

Gamma, denoted as γ, is the ratio of the specific weight of a substance to the specific weight of water at a standard temperature and pressure. It is a measure of the density of a substance relative to water.

2. How is gamma related to density?

Gamma is directly related to the density of a substance, as it is a ratio of the specific weight. However, it does not necessarily equal the density in kg/m^3. This is because density is a measure of mass per unit volume, while gamma is a ratio of weights. Therefore, the two units are not equivalent.

3. Is gamma a constant value for all substances?

No, gamma varies depending on the substance. Each substance has its own unique specific weight, so gamma will differ for different substances. Additionally, gamma can also vary with temperature and pressure.

4. How is gamma calculated?

Gamma can be calculated by dividing the specific weight of a substance by the specific weight of water at standard temperature and pressure. The specific weight of water is typically taken as 9.81 kN/m^3, so the equation for calculating gamma is γ = specific weight of substance / 9.81 kN/m^3.

5. What are some uses of gamma in science?

Gamma is used in various scientific fields, such as fluid mechanics, hydrology, and geotechnical engineering. It is also commonly used in the analysis of soil and rock mechanics, where the specific weight of materials is important in determining properties like bearing capacity and stability.