Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does human body capacitance change when floating vs. standing?

1. Aug 28, 2014 #1
    Hello guys,

I read some articles recently about how touchscreens work by using the capacitance in human bodies. I'v seen the human body capacitance is quoted at around 100pf, is it the same when the human body is floating in mid-air, as if it is standing on the ground? My goal is to detect through a capacitance sensor, (?which detects slight changes of capacitance in the body, when the body is not standing on the ground anymore?) or something like that, if a body is standing on the ground or floating mid-air.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2014 #2
    Please teach me how to float in mid-air.

4. Aug 29, 2014 #3

Nugatory

Staff: Mentor

For this particular problem, it would suffice to suspend the human from a long insulating string.

5. Aug 29, 2014 #4
    NASA has programs where schools design small experiments for astronauts on ISS to try out. This might be a good one if you could think of a way to quantify response of a touchscreen. Certainly seems like good information to have.

NASA National Lab

6. Aug 29, 2014 #5
    The human probably doesn't really need to float in mid-air. I think it would be enough if the measurements would be taken when he jumps.

7. Aug 30, 2014 #6

Borek

Staff: Mentor

I guess standing barefoot on a wet grass and standing on a dry wooden floor would give completely different results.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook