Does length contraction apply to all objects, big and small?

• Thread starter kernelpenguin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Particles
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of length contraction in relation to objects traveling at relativistic speeds. The speaker questions why this phenomenon is thought to apply to both elementary particles and macroscopic objects, and whether there is experimental evidence for macroscopic objects flattening in this way. They also discuss the implications of length contraction on the shape of one's body and the distinction between macroscopic and microscopic objects in relation to relativity.
kernelpenguin
I was thinking about relativity after a lecture the other day and I came across something, well, odd.

Imagine an electron flying at near c. It would look like a pancake that doesn't much care for aerodynamics. How much it resembles a pancake would pop out of the Lorentz equations for its contraction as its speed nears c. So we can say that a particle that is by all means spherical when it is at rest would end up being contracted to zero length in the direction it's traveling should it ever reach c.

The contraction, therefore, applies to elementary particles. But what makes people think it also applies to macroscopic objects? A macroscopic object is a bunch of microscopic objects. So let the contraction apply to tiny parts of you as you near the speed of light. I'm pretty sure it won't bother me if all the particles in my body take on a slightly more flattened shape. Why should my shape change because of this?

And most importantly, is there experimental evidence for macroscopic objects flattening like this as they near relativistic speeds?

Physics news on Phys.org
And most importantly, is there experimental evidence for macroscopic objects flattening like this as they near relativistic speeds?

What macroscopic objects traveling at relativistic speeds are there? We have clouds of particles at such speeds, and they are flattened. The effect has to be allowed for in designing targets.

Hm. What I mean is this. If there are a lot of particles in a row, going at c. Like this:

oooooo

Then they will be flattened individually:

| | | | | |

Yet, why should they get closer to one another as their shapes deform and thus contribute to the macroscopic deformation of whatever object they constitute?

Furthermore, for such a deformation to occur as is predicted (and observed, I guess), all particles except the first one have to move faster to catch up with the first one, no?

Where does the border between macroscopic bodies and separate microscopic particles go with respect to relativity?

Last edited:
kernelpenguin said:
The contraction, therefore, applies to elementary particles. But what makes people think it also applies to macroscopic objects?
What makes you think the Lorentz transformations only apply to observations of elementary particles? The LT apply to all measurements of length and time between moving frames.

A macroscopic object is a bunch of microscopic objects. So let the contraction apply to tiny parts of you as you near the speed of light. I'm pretty sure it won't bother me if all the particles in my body take on a slightly more flattened shape. Why should my shape change because of this?
The "flattening" of your body surely won't bother you, since you won't be able to detect it. Length contraction is only observable from a frame that sees you moving. To you, your shape doesn't change. The same reasoning that allows you to apply length contraction to the particles comprising your body would equally apply to the macroscopic dimensions of your body.

Related to Does length contraction apply to all objects, big and small?

1. What is the connection between pancakes and particles?

The title "Of Pancakes and Particles" is a play on words that references two very different but equally interesting topics - pancakes, which are a popular breakfast food, and particles, which are the building blocks of matter in the universe. The connection lies in the fact that both topics involve a study of matter and its properties.

2. How do pancakes and particles relate to each other scientifically?

Pancakes and particles may seem unrelated at first glance, but they both fall under the umbrella of science and can be studied through various scientific disciplines, such as chemistry and physics. For example, the ingredients and chemical reactions involved in making pancakes can be studied using chemistry principles, while particles can be studied using physics principles to understand their behavior and interactions.

3. What can we learn from studying pancakes and particles?

Studying pancakes and particles can teach us about the properties of matter, how it behaves and interacts with other substances, and how it can be manipulated. These studies also have practical applications, such as in food science and technology for pancakes, and in fields like particle physics for particles.

4. Are there any similarities between pancakes and particles?

While pancakes and particles are vastly different in size and composition, there are some interesting similarities between them. For instance, both have a structure or shape that can change depending on external factors, such as heat for pancakes and energy for particles. Also, both can be broken down into smaller components - pancake batter into flour, eggs, etc. and particles into subatomic particles like protons and neutrons.

5. What is the significance of studying pancakes and particles?

The significance of studying pancakes and particles lies in the fact that they are both fundamental components of our world. Pancakes are a staple food in many cultures, while particles make up everything we see and interact with in the universe. By understanding these topics, we can gain a deeper understanding of the world around us and potentially make advancements in various fields, such as food science and technology, and particle physics.