Does the compact subset of an infinite Banach have finite span?

In summary, the conversation discusses the understanding of linear normed spaces and compactness in infinite spaces. It addresses two questions regarding the equivalence of limit point compactness, compactness, and sequential compactness in a linear normed vector space, and the relationship between compact subsets and finite span in an infinite Banach space. It is concluded that a compact subset in a Banach space does not necessarily have a finite span, but a compact manifold is finite-dimensional.
Fractal20

Homework Statement

Hi all, I am struggling with getting an intuitive understanding of linear normed spaces, particularly of the infinite variety. In turn, I then am having trouble with compactness. To try and get specific I have two questions.

Question 1
In a linear normed vector space, is it true that limit point compactness, compactness, and sequential compactness are all equivalent? My understanding is the norm creates a metric space and these should all be true. But I had an earlier confusion that perhaps compact spaces of the infinite variety need not be bounded. So I'm unsure about this point.

Question 2
In this same direction, would a compact subset of an infinite banach space have to have a finite span? We proved in class that B* space is finite dimensional iff the unit sphere is compact so this is what makes me assume this would be true. It seems like if not, then we could create an infinite sequence of orthogonal vectors and it doesn't seem like this sequence would not have to have a convergent subsequence.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
That all sounds right. Except I don't know in what sense you mean a subset has a 'span'. If a subset is a span of a set of vectors, then that subset is a subspace and subspaces aren't compact, right?

So would it be correct to say that a compact subset of a normed linear space (B* or Banach) must have a finite basis or has a finite dimension?

Thanks a lot!

Last edited:
Fractal20 said:
So would it be correct to say that a compact subset of a normed linear space (B* or Banach) must have a finite basis or has a finite dimension?

Thanks a lot!

You are missing my point. Subsets don't have bases. Subspaces have bases. The unit sphere doesn't have a basis.

Last edited:
Hmm, can't all points in the unit sphere in say 3d be written as linear combinations of (1,0,0), (0,1,0) and (0,0,1)? Is your point about semantics or is it really erroneous to carry over these concepts to a general space? I thought that linear spaces have the same... I don't what to call it, properties/characteristics as vector spaces?

Okay, thinking about it I understand the differences in terms of things like closure. As in, a linear subspace should have additive closure etc, but if it is a subspace or a subset, can we still talk about it having some dimension? Thanks, I appreciate the help.

Fractal20 said:
Hmm, can't all points in the unit sphere in say 3d be written as linear combinations of (1,0,0), (0,1,0) and (0,0,1)? Is your point about semantics or is it really erroneous to carry over these concepts to a general space? I thought that linear spaces have the same... I don't what to call it, properties/characteristics as vector spaces?

Okay, thinking about it I understand the differences in terms of things like closure. As in, a linear subspace should have additive closure etc, but if it is a subspace or a subset, can we still talk about it having some dimension? Thanks, I appreciate the help.

For a subset to have a 'dimension' it has to be similar in some way to a linear space that has a dimension. The concept you are looking for is 'manifold', I think. Look it up. Your 3d sphere is like a plane, except it's bent. Hence it's a two dimensional manifold. And, yes, I think in that sense you are right, that a manifold can only be compact if it's finite dimensional.

Question 2 is false. A compact subset of a Banach space doesn't need to have a finite-dimensional span.

An important counterexample for the statement is the Hilbert cube. Take in [itex]\ell^2[/itex] the subset

[tex]\{(x_n)_n\in \ell^2~\vert~0\leq x_n\leq 1/n\}[/tex]

This can be shown to be compact. Yet, its span is entire [itex]\ell^2[/itex].

The statement that a compact manifold is finite-dimensional does seem correct. If a manifold is compact, then its coordinate charts are open sets of the manifolds which are then locally compact. But a locally compact Banach space is finite-dimensional.

1. What is a compact subset of an infinite Banach?

A compact subset of an infinite Banach is a subset of the Banach space that is both closed and bounded. In other words, it contains all of its limit points and can be contained within a finite distance from any given point.

2. What is a finite span in a Banach space?

A finite span in a Banach space refers to the number of independent vectors needed to span the entire space. In other words, it is the minimum number of vectors needed to represent any vector in the space.

3. What does it mean for a compact subset to have finite span?

If a compact subset of an infinite Banach has finite span, it means that the subset can be represented by a finite number of independent vectors. This is useful for simplifying calculations and understanding the structure of the subset.

4. Why is the question of a compact subset having finite span important?

The question of a compact subset having finite span is important because it allows us to understand the structure of the subset and make certain calculations easier. It also has applications in functional analysis and other areas of mathematics.

5. How can one determine if a compact subset of an infinite Banach has finite span?

To determine if a compact subset of an infinite Banach has finite span, one can use various mathematical techniques such as Gram-Schmidt orthogonalization or the Riesz representation theorem. These techniques can help identify a minimal set of independent vectors that span the subset.