Does the resistance of a material vary when introduced into water?

In summary, pure water has a very high resistivity (you refer to it as a dielectric material). Wouldn't immersing a wire in water not be much the same as surrounding it in an insulating sleeve (like most of the 'wires' that people use). If this is a DC measurement, the (real part) of the dielectric constant should not matter.
Cloruro de potasio
Suppose we have a copper wire, of resistance R, and we introduce it in water, when applying now a certain potential difference between the two ends, will the intensity that circulates through the wire be the same, and therefore also the resistance ?, is there going to be a potential drop due to the resistance presented by water, since it is a dielectric material?

Your answers would help me a lot.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
What research have you done on this so far? What have you found out?

I am preparing a small experimental project for the university on the influence of temperature on the resistivity of metals, and I have seen that one of the possible ways of measuring it is by introducing the material into water and increasing the temperature, but I have not just seen very clear if, when introduced into water, the measures will be correct or if the presence of water (as a dielectric material) will have some influence ...

You did not answer my question. What research have you done on this so far? What have you found out? By "this" I mean immersion in water's affect on overall resistance.

Cloruro de potasio said:
I am preparing a small experimental project for the university on the influence of temperature on the resistivity of metals, and I have seen that one of the possible ways of measuring it is by introducing the material into water and increasing the temperature, but I have not just seen very clear if, when introduced into water, the measures will be correct or if the presence of water (as a dielectric material) will have some influence ...

You know, this is such a SIMPLE thing to test, especially when you are "... preparing a small experimental project...". Why can't you have a coil of copper wire, measure its resistance with a multimeter, and then immerse it in water at room temperature with the ends sticking out (so that you won't mess up the contact point with your multimeter), re-measure the resistance?

This will tell you almost immediately if immersing it in water will affect the resistance, won't it? What prevented you from doing this?

Zz.

Likes vanhees71, davenn, Motore and 1 other person
Cloruro de potasio said:
if the presence of water (as a dielectric material) will have some influence
Pure water has a very high resistivity (you refer to it as a dielectric material). Wouldn't immersing a wire in water not be much the same as surrounding it in an insulating sleeve (like most of the 'wires' that people use).
Clue: what's the formula for the equivalent R of two Resistances in Parallel?

There are so many variables here but if there is an effect and its very small how will you measure it?

Dadface said:
There are so many variables here
But only a very few important ones if you remember the vast difference between the resistivity of the metal and the dielectric and make some justified approximations.

Likes Dale
If this is a DC measurement, the (real part) of the dielectric constant should not matter. For pure water the conductivity will be small but is there any ionic chemistry with the copper over time? The worst case test might be an "almost shorted" solenoidal coil of wire of considerable length with and without water. And maybe measure the conductivity of the "pure" water after removing the coil at the end.

To keep things simple, assume that nothing is absorbed and that the material and water stay separate. In that case, the water would be a resister in parallel with the material. Consider the two extremes. If the material is an excellent conductor, the current through water can probably be ignored. On the other hand, if the material is an insulator, the current through the material can probably be ignored. In less extreme cases, you can probably use the formula for parallel resisters.

PS. If there is absorption, the situation is more complicated. Damp soil is a better conductor than dry soil. Water in the soil is a better conductor than air.

1. How does the resistance of a material change when it is placed in water?

The resistance of a material typically decreases when it is introduced into water. This is because water is a conductor and allows electricity to flow more easily through the material.

2. Does the type of material affect its resistance in water?

Yes, the type of material can greatly affect its resistance in water. Materials that are good conductors, such as metals, will have a lower resistance compared to materials that are poor conductors, like rubber or plastic.

3. Can the temperature of the water affect the resistance of a material?

Yes, the temperature of the water can impact the resistance of a material. As the temperature of the water increases, the resistance of the material will typically decrease. This is because warmer water allows for better conductivity.

4. How does the shape or size of the material affect its resistance in water?

The shape and size of a material can also play a role in its resistance in water. Generally, materials with a larger surface area will have a lower resistance compared to materials with a smaller surface area. Additionally, the shape of the material can impact how easily electricity can flow through it.

5. Is the resistance of a material in water the same as its resistance in air?

No, the resistance of a material in water is typically different from its resistance in air. As mentioned before, water is a conductor and allows for easier flow of electricity, while air is an insulator and hinders the flow of electricity. Therefore, the resistance of a material will generally be lower in water compared to air.