Doing shady things with limits

• Thread starter durt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limits
In summary, the problem is to find the limit of a sequence, y_n, which is defined as the sum of logarithmic terms divided by a polynomial term. By manipulating the given equation, it is possible to express the limit in terms of the limit of the sequence y_n+1. To show that the limit of y_n is not equal to zero, induction can be used to prove properties of the individual terms of the sequence. Additionally, the limit of y_n must be bounded above in order to show that it exists. Finally, integrating x logx can be used to find the limit of y_n.
durt
Given [itex]y_n = (2\log{2}+3\log{3}+...+n\log{n})/(n^2\log{n})[/itex], the problem is to find [itex]\lim_{n \to \infty} y_n[/itex]. I've found that

[tex]y_n \left(n-1+\frac{1}{n+1}\right) \frac{\log{n}}{\log{(n+1)}} = y_{n+1} (n+1) - 1[/tex].

So [itex] \lim_{n \to \infty} y_n(n-1) = \lim_{n \to \infty} y_{n+1} (n+1) - 1[/itex]. If I assume [itex]\lim_{n \to \infty} y_n \neq 0[/itex], separate those limits and solve to get [itex]\lim_{n \to \infty} y_n = \frac{1}{2}[/itex]. How do I show that [itex]\lim_{n \to \infty} y_n \neq 0[/itex]?

Physics news on Phys.org
How about by induction?

Sure, induction doesn't carry all the way through to the limit, but it can prove things about the individual terms of the sequence -- and then you can invoke some theorem on limits to 'extend' your result to the limit.

(Incidentally, you've not only assumed the limit of y_n is nonzero, but that it exists...)

I notice another problem. If [itex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} y_n[/itex] exists and is positive, then [itex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} y_n(n-1)[/itex] diverges to infinity.

I don't see what I can induct. The sequence decreases for a while and then increases, so I can't say it's strictly increasing or anything like that, can I? Also, if [itex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} y_n = L[/itex] is a non-zero real number, then [itex]1 = L \lim_{n \to \infty} (n+1) - L \lim_{n \to \infty} (n-1) = L \lim_{n \to \infty} ((n + 1) - (n - 1))[/itex]. Is that not valid?

What you did was not valid. You can only do things like

lim(xy)=lim(x)lim(y)

lim(x+y)=lim(x) +lim (y)

if all the individual limits exist.

However that isn't really an issue, since you could have rearranged the n+1's equation you got prior to taking limits.

You still need to show that the limit of y_n exists. Since you know it is eventually increasing, then it suffices to show that it is bounded above (which it is by the most obvious upper bound you can use).

integrate?

durt said:
Given [itex]y_n = (2\log{2}+3\log{3}+...+n\log{n})/(n^2\log{n})[/itex], the problem is to find [itex]\lim_{n \to \infty} y_n[/itex].

Hi durt! :smile:

Is there some theorem you can use that involves integrating x logx?

Well that works with some squeeze theoreming :smile:. Cool.

1. What are "shady things" in the context of limits?

"Shady things" typically refer to unethical or questionable practices with regards to manipulating or approaching the concept of limits in mathematics.

2. Why is it important to avoid doing shady things with limits?

Doing shady things with limits can lead to incorrect or misleading results, which can be detrimental in scientific and mathematical research. It also goes against the principles of integrity and honesty in scientific inquiry.

3. What are some common examples of shady things with limits?

Some common examples include manipulating the order of operations in limit calculations, ignoring certain variables or factors, and using incorrect formulas or techniques.

4. How can one ensure they are not doing shady things with limits?

One way to ensure this is to thoroughly review and check all calculations and approaches to limits, and to consult with peers or experts when in doubt. It is also important to be transparent and honest about any limitations or assumptions made in the process.

5. What are the consequences of doing shady things with limits in scientific research?

The consequences can range from minor errors and setbacks to major discrepancies and invalid conclusions. It can also damage the credibility and reputation of the researcher and the scientific community as a whole.