Domain of a multivariable eq'n

In summary, the conversation discusses finding and sketching the domain for a given function. The domain is defined as all values of x and y that make the function defined. It is determined that the only undefined place is when the denominator is equal to zero, which corresponds to the unit circle in the xy-plane. However, it is clarified that the function is still well defined inside the unit circle. The conversation ends with a quick confirmation of this understanding.
sjmacewan
Ok, i think i understand this one, but it's giving me a bit of trouble in terms of comprehension, so I thought I'd get some help on it.

I need to find and sketch the domain for:

[tex]f(x,y)= \frac{x^2 + y^3}{x^2 + y^2 -1}[/tex]

The way i see it, that would only be undefined when the denominator is equal to zero. So wouldn't the domain simply be:

D={(x,y)|x^2+y^2-1 /= 0}

Right?

Physics news on Phys.org
That's right.

Seems okay; and x²+y²-1 = 0 <=> x²+y² = 1 is exactly the unit circle in the xy-plane, so a cylinder of that circle with variable heigth z.

edit:
right! i knew that, when i made the unit circle connection i forgot to take the 1 over to the other side, so it wasn't making much sense.

So the sketch would basically just include the circle, stating that THAT is the only undefined place? or would the inside of the circle be excluded from the domain as well?

Last edited:
f is perfectly well defined inside the unit circle, since then x^2+y^2-1 is not equal to zero.

Last edited:
that's what i thought, since it's [tex]x^2+y^2=1[/tex] and NOT equal to or greater than.

Anywho, thanks for the quick confirmation people!

Related to Domain of a multivariable eq'n

What is the domain of a multivariable equation?

The domain of a multivariable equation is the set of all possible input values that can be used for the variables in the equation. It represents the independent variables in the equation.

How is the domain of a multivariable equation determined?

The domain of a multivariable equation is determined by looking at the restrictions on the variables in the equation. These restrictions can be in the form of inequalities, absolute value expressions, or any other conditions that limit the possible values of the variables.

Why is it important to find the domain of a multivariable equation?

Finding the domain of a multivariable equation is important because it helps to determine the set of values that the variables can take in order for the equation to be valid. It also allows for proper interpretation and application of the equation in real-life situations.

What happens if the domain of a multivariable equation is not specified or is incorrect?

If the domain of a multivariable equation is not specified or is incorrect, it can lead to incorrect solutions or interpretations of the equation. It can also result in undefined or nonsensical values for the variables, making the equation unusable.

Can the domain of a multivariable equation be infinite?

Yes, the domain of a multivariable equation can be infinite if there are no restrictions on the variables. However, in many cases, the domain is limited to a certain range of values that make the equation meaningful and applicable.