1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Domain of a multivariable eq'n

1. Sep 18, 2006 #1
    Ok, i think i understand this one, but it's giving me a bit of trouble in terms of comprehension, so I thought I'd get some help on it.

I need to find and sketch the domain for:

[tex]f(x,y)= \frac{x^2 + y^3}{x^2 + y^2 -1}[/tex]

The way i see it, that would only be undefined when the denominator is equal to zero. So wouldn't the domain simply be:

D={(x,y)|x^2+y^2-1 /= 0}

Right?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2006 #2

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's right.

4. Sep 18, 2006 #3

TD

Homework Helper

Seems okay; and x²+y²-1 = 0 <=> x²+y² = 1 is exactly the unit circle in the xy-plane, so a cylinder of that circle with variable heigth z.

5. Sep 18, 2006 #4
    edit:
    right! i knew that, when i made the unit circle connection i forgot to take the 1 over to the other side, so it wasn't making much sense.

So the sketch would basically just include the circle, stating that THAT is the only undefined place? or would the inside of the circle be excluded from the domain as well?

Last edited: Sep 18, 2006
  6. Sep 18, 2006 #5

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

f is perfectly well defined inside the unit circle, since then x^2+y^2-1 is not equal to zero.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2006
  7. Sep 18, 2006 #6
    that's what i thought, since it's [tex]x^2+y^2=1[/tex] and NOT equal to or greater than.

Anywho, thanks for the quick confirmation people!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?