Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Don't stress over polygamy

1. Mar 9, 2005 #1

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: I just read this in a dutch newspaper and thought it's hilarious.. is this guy serious?

*edit* apparently a journalist had put the absurd claim into the mouth of the professor, he thereby stands corrected. Explained here */edit*

I translated the article, which can be found here http://www.telegraaf.nl/binnenland/18833701/_Niet_te_moeilijk_doen_over_polygamie_.html, using worldlingo so I'm sorry if some sentences look weird :tongue:

Last edited: Mar 30, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 9, 2005 #2

matthyaouw

Gold Member

How long til he is fired or steps down? Place your bets people!

4. Mar 9, 2005 #3
    He is at a Dutch institute, not an American one. The Dutch are extremely tolerant in my experiences. Plus he probably has tenure- this is what tenure should be used for- not having to worry about whether or not your findings will cause you to lose your job (as long as they are based on some sort of experiment or proof/reasoning of some sort)

5. Mar 9, 2005 #4
    Forget the fringe benefits, I just can't get past the thought of more than one wife nagging me. :yuck:

6. Mar 9, 2005 #5
    amen.. one's more than enough :bugeye:

7. Mar 9, 2005 #6

He's at a dutch intstitute.

And as they say, the only things illegal in amerstdam are murder and highway robbery, anything else is fair game.

(Not really, but it sure seems like that. I have yet to find a manifestation of hedonism that is illegal there, not that i've been looking very hard. :uhh: )

8. Mar 9, 2005 #7
    Personaly, i don't think that makes any sense even scientifically. You really think that a guy with as many wives as he wants is still going to have the same number of kids as with one? no, he'll have like 4 with each wife! Thats more kids for them all to worry about. If you want to save on daycare, legalize polygandry, (one woman mult husbands) Then she can still only have so many kids, but she gets lots of men to help her raise them. That just makes sense! (and sounds much more preferable anyways... :biggrin: )

9. Mar 9, 2005 #8

Yeah, great idea, have a bunch of guys all competing to see who's gonna get laid tonight.

REAL bright idea :rolleyes:

Homicide rate goes through the roof. COnnection? I think not....

10. Mar 9, 2005 #9

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Multiple husbands make much more sense!!! :tongue2:

11. Mar 9, 2005 #10
    It'll help decrease the population. Besides... Survival of the Sexiest!

12. Mar 9, 2005 #11

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Only for the first few years. After that you have drinking buddies. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

13. Mar 9, 2005 #12
    Also, no matter how many wives he has, he still won't stop and ask for directions when they're lost. :biggrin:

14. Mar 9, 2005 #13

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Ivan's got the idea! One husband is plenty for me...more men, more laundry, more times the toilet seat is left up!
    :rofl:

15. Mar 9, 2005 #14

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Won't the "one woman & several men" scenario run into problems when all the men want children? ...

16. Mar 9, 2005 #15

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:eek: Yeah, that doesn't sound like a very good plan to me. I prefer it as initially presented...it would give those of us who are sure all the good men are already married or taken another chance at them! :biggrin: :devil:

17. Mar 9, 2005 #16

Well, then, i must be immortal :biggrin:

[/shameless self-complimenting]

18. Mar 9, 2005 #17

I think you need to post a pic to back that up... especially if its true...

19. Mar 9, 2005 #18

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Gale and franz, sittin' in a tree.... :biggrin:

20. Mar 10, 2005 #19

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It would be like the good old days when we kept our women barefoot and pregnant for twenty years or so.

I think it would turn many women into black widow serial killers.

21. Mar 10, 2005 #20

I've resisted posting a pic here for a long time. Maybe...

Ah, one has to miss the good ole days, eh?

Now, where's my sandwhich? :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?