Don't understand why an indefinite integral is valid only on a interval

In summary, the author tries to say that the "most general antiderivative on a given interval" is obtained by adding a constant to a particular antiderivative, but this convention is only used for indefinite integrals on intervals, and even then, the antiderivative is only valid on those intervals.
Don't understand why "an indefinite integral is valid only on a interval"

Hi I'm using Stewart's Calculus, in the section of indefinite integral, they say:

"Recall from Theorem 4.10.1 that the most general antiderivative on a given interval is
obtained by adding a constant to a particular antiderivative. We adopt the convention that
when a formula for a general indefinite integral is given, it is valid only on an interval.
Thus, we write

[tex]\int[/tex] 1/x^2 dx = - (1/x) + C

with the understanding that it is valid on the interval (0, [tex]\infty[/tex]) or on the interval (-[tex]\infty[/tex], 0). This is true despite the fact that the general antiderivative of the function , f(x)=1/x^2, x[tex]\neq[/tex]0 , is:

F(x):
- (1/x) + C1 if x<0
- (1/x) + C2 if x>0"

Well, I don't understand this convention, don't know if it is something too obvious and I'm complicating myself, like, "there could be points where the indefinite integral isn't defined" or maybe there's a subtle point behind this, maybe they want to say that a indefinite integral that holds for any interval, no matter how small, it's a valid indef. int. of the function.

Please help me to understand this, it seems that it doesn't affect too much the rest of the topics, but I don't like to skip things that I don't understand.

Thank you & excuse me if my english isn't very clear.

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't really get it, I think all he is trying to say, is that he will always denote the arbitrary constant that can be added by C, even though the integral may have to be split up in multiple regions (like in the example x < 0 and x > 0) in each of which C can have a different value (and therefore should technically be written in separate cases like
F(x):
- (1/x) + C1 if x<0
- (1/x) + C2 if x>0
So you, as reader, should be careful with these kinds of functions and keep in mind that on different intervals, the constant may be different.

mmm...

Yeah, maybe it's just what Compuchip says, because if we use the same constant in both intervals it could be thought that a particular primitive must have the same constant in both intervals. Right?

What is an indefinite integral?

An indefinite integral, also known as an antiderivative, is the inverse operation of a derivative. It is a mathematical concept that represents the family of functions whose derivative is equal to a given function.

Why is an indefinite integral only valid on an interval?

An indefinite integral is only valid on an interval because it represents a family of functions, rather than a single function. This interval is usually denoted by a constant, known as the constant of integration, which can vary and change the value of the function.

What happens if the interval is not specified for an indefinite integral?

If the interval is not specified for an indefinite integral, it is assumed to be valid for all real numbers. This means that the constant of integration can take on any value, resulting in an infinite number of possible functions.

Why do we need to specify an interval for an indefinite integral?

Specifying an interval for an indefinite integral allows us to find a specific function within the family of functions that represents the indefinite integral. This is necessary for practical applications and calculations.

What is the role of the constant of integration in an indefinite integral?

The constant of integration is a constant term that is added to the indefinite integral to represent all possible functions within the family of functions. It is usually denoted by "C" and its value can vary, leading to different functions within the family.