What is the perceived frequency of Bird B when it hears Bird A's screech?

In summary, when Bird A and B are flying towards each other with Bird B at 20m/s and Bird A at 15m/s with a frequency of 3200 Hz, Bird B perceives the frequency to be 3244.7 Hz. This is due to the speed of sound being 343m/s and the equation Fobserver = Fsource((vsound + vobserver)/(vsound + vsource)), where vobserver should be positive and vsource should be negative.
anotherperson

Homework Statement

Bird A and B are flying towards each other
Bird B at 20m/s
Bird A at 15m/s and screeches with a frequency of 3200 Hz
what does bird B perceive?

Homework Equations

the speed of sound is 343m/s

Fobserver==Fsource((vsound+vobserver)/(vsound+vsource)

The Attempt at a Solution

fobserver=3200((343+20)/(343+15))
=3244.7Hz

i check this against my solution and it appears to be wrong but I am not sure why. is it i got observer and source mixed around or maybe my signs?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yeah, you mixed up the signs. vobserver should be positive if the receiver is moving towards the source. vsource should be positive if the receiver is moving away from the source.

You can remember this by remembering that frequency always goes up if the receiver is moving towards the source. Hence, the numerator must get better, and the denominator must get smaller.

so in reference to this question is should be 20 and -15?

Yup.

thanks!

1. What is the Doppler Effect?

The Doppler Effect is a phenomenon in which the frequency of a wave appears to change for an observer when the source of the wave is moving towards or away from them. This effect is often observed in sound waves, but it can also occur with other types of waves, such as light.

2. How does the Doppler Effect apply to birds?

The Doppler Effect can be observed in birds when they are moving through the air. As a bird flies towards an observer, the sound waves it produces are compressed, resulting in a higher frequency and a higher pitch. Conversely, as the bird flies away from an observer, the sound waves are stretched out, resulting in a lower frequency and a lower pitch.

3. What factors can affect the Doppler Effect in birds?

The speed of the bird, the speed of sound, and the distance between the bird and the observer can all affect the Doppler Effect in birds. Additionally, changes in air temperature and wind conditions can also impact the perceived frequency of the bird's sound.

4. How can the Doppler Effect of a bird be measured?

The Doppler Effect of a bird can be measured by using a device called a Doppler radar. This device emits radio waves that bounce off the bird and are then detected by a receiver. By analyzing the frequency of the returning waves, the Doppler radar can determine the speed and direction of the bird's movement.

5. What are the practical applications of studying the Doppler Effect in birds?

Studying the Doppler Effect in birds can be useful in various fields, such as aviation and meteorology. By understanding how the Doppler Effect affects the sound of a moving bird, pilots can better estimate the distance and speed of other aircrafts. In meteorology, the Doppler Effect can be used to track the movement of birds and insects, which can be helpful in predicting weather patterns.