Doppler effect sensitive parabolic sound collector

In summary, Tom uses a parabolic sound collector to record the frequency of a tuning fork as it drops into the Grand Canyon. He records a frequency of 1887.0 Hz at t=7.880 seconds and, using the equation fr=fs(v-us)/(v), calculates the natural frequency of the tuning fork to be 1462.05 Hz. However, there is uncertainty about when the sound was actually emitted from the fork and what speed it had at that time, which is necessary to accurately use the Doppler formula.
Rasine
Using a highly sensitive parabolic sound collector, Tom records the frequency of a tuning fork as it drops into the Grand Canyon. He drops the vibrating tuning fork from rest at t=0. He records a frequency of 1887.0 Hz at t=7.880 s. What is the natural frequency of the tuning fork? Use Vsound=343.0 m/s

ok so... i want to use fr=fs(v-us)/(v)

since tom is not moving ur=0 so i did not include that in the equation and i put the negitve becuase the fork is moving away from tom and the waves would be longer than it it was moving towards him

us=v=vo+at so us=77.224 m/s

1887=fs(343-77.224)/343

and i get 1462.05 Hz

what did i do wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Rasine said:
He records a frequency of 1887.0 Hz at t=7.880 s.
That's the time that he records the incoming sound. When did the tuning fork emit that sound?

With your equation I get 2435.28Hz.

Rasine said:
ok so... i want to use fr=fs(v-us)/(v)
The Doppler equation for a receding sound source should be:
[tex]f_{obs} = f_{source}\frac{c}{c + v}[/tex]

Where c is the speed of sound; v is the speed of the source at time of emission.

the sound was emitted from the fork at t=0 so how do i take that into account?

if the fork is falling at t=7.880 it has a v=77.224 which the equation calls for that + the speed of sound

dosent that take it into account?

i don't know!

Rasine said:
the sound was emitted from the fork at t=0 so how do i take that into account?
No, t=0 is the time that the fork was dropped. It continually vibrates as it falls, picking up speed along the way. Note that it takes time for the sound to travel from the fork back to the top of the canyon.

Rasine said:
if the fork is falling at t=7.880 it has a v=77.224 which the equation calls for that + the speed of sound
True, at t=7.88 the fork has a speed of about 77 m/s. But that's not relevant, since you want to know how fast the fork was moving when it emitted the sound that was detected (at the top of the canyon) at t=7.88.

Before you can use the Doppler formula, you need to first figure out what speed the fork had when it emitted the sound that arrived at the detector at t=7.88. Hints for figuring that out: If the fork falls for T seconds it travels a distance D. Sound emitted at that time takes D/c seconds to reach the detector. The total time must equal t=7.88 seconds.

1. What is the Doppler effect sensitive parabolic sound collector?

The Doppler effect sensitive parabolic sound collector is a device used to detect and amplify sound waves. It consists of a parabolic dish that collects sound waves and focuses them onto a microphone, allowing for more precise and sensitive detection of sound.

2. How does the Doppler effect sensitive parabolic sound collector work?

The parabolic dish of the collector acts as a reflector, gathering sound waves from a wide area and directing them towards a central point where the microphone is placed. As the sound waves are focused, the sensitivity of the microphone is increased, allowing for more accurate detection of sound.

3. What is the purpose of the Doppler effect in this device?

The Doppler effect is used in this device to amplify the sound waves. When an object emitting sound moves towards or away from the collector, the frequency of the sound waves changes due to the Doppler effect. This change in frequency allows for more precise detection and amplification of sound.

4. What are the applications of the Doppler effect sensitive parabolic sound collector?

This device is commonly used in scientific research, particularly in fields such as astronomy and meteorology, to detect and analyze sound waves from distant sources. It is also used in military and surveillance operations for sound detection and surveillance purposes.

5. Are there any limitations to the Doppler effect sensitive parabolic sound collector?

While this device is highly sensitive and effective at detecting sound waves, it does have some limitations. It may struggle to accurately detect sound in noisy environments or when there are obstructions between the sound source and the collector. Additionally, it is most effective for detecting low-frequency sounds and may not be as useful for higher frequency sounds.