Dot Product Issues Homework: Vector A and 4 Vectors

In summary, the conversation is about vectors with the same magnitude but different orientations. The question is which of the four other vectors have the same dot product with vector A, and which have a negative dot product with A. The solution is that all four vectors have the same dot product with A, but only vectors D and E have a negative dot product due to the obtuse angle between them and A.
Pupil

Homework Statement

Vector A and four other vectors that have the same magnitude but differ in orientation. a) Which of those other four vectors have the same dot product with A? b) Which have a negative dot product with A?
http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/7079/40191924.th.jpg
(Those circle things between the arrows are supposed to be thetas. I suck at drawing quickies in paint.)

Homework Equations

a*b = abcos(theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

For a) I recognized that they would all have the same dot product with a, since the magnitude of all the vectors are the same, as is their angle. What I don't get is the answer to b. It says D and E. Shouldn't the dot products all be positive? In the equation a and b are positive (and always will be), and cos(theta) is positive in this case, how would the dot product turn out to be negative?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What is the angle between D and A?

slider142 said:
What is the angle between D and A?

180 - theta. :blushing:

By the image, it looks like [itex]\theta[/itex] is acute, so 180 - [itex]\theta[/itex] must be obtuse. From this, you should be able to guess the sign of the cosine of the angle.

Yeah, I understand where I went wrong. Thanks.

Related to Dot Product Issues Homework: Vector A and 4 Vectors

1. What is a dot product?

A dot product is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors and produces a scalar quantity. It is calculated by multiplying the corresponding components of the two vectors and then adding the products together.

2. How is the dot product related to vector A and 4 vectors?

The dot product can be used to determine the angle between vector A and any of the 4 vectors. It is also used to calculate the magnitude of vector A, as well as to find the projection of vector A onto any of the 4 vectors.

3. What is the formula for calculating the dot product?

The formula for calculating the dot product is: A · B = |A| * |B| * cosθ, where A and B are two vectors, |A| and |B| are their magnitudes, and θ is the angle between them.

4. How can the dot product be used in real-world applications?

The dot product has applications in physics, engineering, and computer graphics. It is used to calculate work, torque, and projections in physics, and in computer graphics it is used to determine lighting and shading in 3D models.

5. What are some common mistakes when working with dot products?

Some common mistakes when working with dot products include forgetting to take the absolute value of the vectors' magnitudes, miscalculating the angle between the vectors, and mixing up the order of the vectors in the calculation. It is important to carefully follow the formula and double-check all calculations to avoid these mistakes.