Solve Pulley System: Find Acceleration of m3, B, m1, m2 & Tension in A & C

In summary: From this we can see that the tension in the lower string is doubled, and the tension in the upper string is also doubled.
awelex

Homework Statement

See picture: http://session.masteringphysics.com/problemAsset/1038667/6/YF-05-85.jpg

All pulleys are weight- and frictionless, as are the ropes.

Find the acceleration of block m3, of pulley B, of block m1 and m2, the tension in String A, and the tension in string C.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

To find the acceleration of m3, I thought of m1 and m2 as a single mass, which should turn the problem into a simple Atwood problem. The two equations that I got out of this are:

(m1+m2)g - T2 = (m1+m2)*a
T2 - m3*g = m3*a

Solving for a yields g*(m1 + m2 - m3)/(m1 + m2 + 2m3), which is not even close to the solution.

What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your logic won't lead you to the answer. You cannot think 2 masses as a single mass.
Hint: Use Constrained relations

Hi Abdul,
thanks for your answer. I know that it is somehow possible to express one tension in terms of the other (and I remember reading somewhere that one is twice the other), but I don't understand at all how to do that.
If pulley B was in equilibrium, then it would make sense: the tension in C must equal twice the tension at point A. But since the system is not in equilibrium, my reasoning is wrong, isn't it?

Whether the system is in equilibrium or not, from Newton's third law T1+T2 = T3,
where T1 and T2 are the tensions in the string connecting m1 and m2 respectively and T3 is the tension at C.
Since it is mentioned in the problem that pulleys and ropes are massless, T2=T1=T and as you said, the tension in C must equal twice the tension at point A (T3=2T).

If you are smart, you can use simple logic to get the relation between accelerations of different masses (instead of working on time taking constrained relationships).

Assuming you are :wink:,
Consider this- if m1 moves down with a1= 1m/s^2
and m2 moves up with a2= 1m/s^2, accleration of m3, a3=0

if m1 moves down with a1=1m/s^2
and m2 moves down with a2=1m/s^2, a3=1m/s^2 UPWARDS

It easily follows that a1 + a2=2a3

Now use Newton's second law for each mass, get 3 equations, solve them with the equation above, you will get your answer :smile:

Hi Abdul,

thanks again. It's all making sense now, except that I still can't figure out why T3 = 2T.

Again, in my earlier example I assumed that pulley B was in equilibrium. In that case, the net force must be zero, so

Fnet = 2T - T3 = 0

In that case, it is evident that T3 = 2T. But the system is obviously not in equilibrium, so instead we have

Fnet = 2T - T3 = aB*mB

How can you deduce from this that T3 = 2T? Is it because mB = 0?

awelex said:
How can you deduce from this that T3 = 2T? Is it because mB = 0?

Yes.
Consider the motion of the pulley B,
The forces on this light pulley are
1) T3 upwards by the upper string
b) 2T downwards by the lower string

As the mass of the pulley is negligible
2T-T3=0

1. What is a pulley system and how does it work?

A pulley system is a simple machine that uses a wheel with a groove and a rope or belt to change the direction of a force. As the rope is pulled, the pulley rotates and transfers the force to move an object. This allows for easier lifting of heavy objects or changing the direction of a force.

2. How do I find the acceleration of the objects in a pulley system?

To find the acceleration, you will need to use Newton's Second Law of Motion (F=ma) and the concept of tension. Set up equations for each object in the system, taking into account the tension in the rope and the mass of each object. Solve for the acceleration using algebraic manipulation.

3. How can I determine the tension in the ropes in a pulley system?

The tension in a rope can be found by using the equations for Newton's Second Law of Motion and the concept of tension. Set up equations for each object in the system and solve for the tension using algebraic manipulation.

4. Can a pulley system have more than one movable pulley?

Yes, a pulley system can have multiple movable pulleys. This allows for a mechanical advantage, making it easier to lift heavier objects. The more movable pulleys in the system, the greater the mechanical advantage.

5. How does the mass of the objects affect the acceleration in a pulley system?

The mass of the objects in the pulley system affects the acceleration by influencing the amount of force needed to move the objects. The larger the mass, the more force is required to accelerate the objects. This is taken into account when setting up equations for Newton's Second Law of Motion.