Double integral for area evaluation

In summary, the problem asks for the bounded area inside the curve given by the equation {\left( \frac{x^2}{a^2} + \frac{y^2}{b^2} \right)}^2 = \frac{x^2}{a^2} - \frac{y^2}{b^2}, where a and b are both greater than 0. To solve this, the substitution y = br\sin \theta \text{\ \ \ } x = ar\cos \theta is used. This leads to a polar representation of the curve, with r ranging from 0 to \sqrt{ \cos^2 \theta - \sin^2 \theta } and \theta ranging from
LeifEricson

Homework Statement

Use an appropriate double integral and the substitution

[tex] y = br\sin \theta \text{\ \ \ } x = ar\cos \theta [/tex]

to calculate the bounded area inside the curve:

[tex] {\left( \frac{x^2}{a^2} + \frac{y^2}{b^2} \right)}^2 = \frac{x^2}{a^2} - \frac{y^2}{b^2} [/tex]

(you can assume that [tex] a,b > 0 [/tex])

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I began with the substitution and I got the following representation of the curve:
[tex] r = \sqrt{ \cos^2 \theta - \sin^2 \theta } [/tex].

That means that [tex]0 \leq r \leq \sqrt{ \cos^2 \theta - \sin^2 \theta } [/tex].

Now I have to find from where to where [tex] \theta [/tex] goes. But according to the polar representation I get a very segmented range which is:

[tex] 0 \leq \theta \leq \pi / 4 \text{\ \ \ } 7\pi / 4 \leq \theta \leq 2\pi \text{\ \ \ } 3\pi / 4 \leq \theta \leq 5\pi / 4 [/tex]

And this is a problem because I need [tex] \theta [/tex] to range in a continuous range. So it can be used as a boundaries of an integral.

So what should I do?

Edit:
Fixed substitution. It was x = [tex] br\cos \theta [/tex] instead of what it is now.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You can integrate over the ranges separately and then add them. No law against that. It might be easier to do two ranges [-pi/4,pi/4] and [3pi/4,5pi/4] rather than three. You might also notice your r^2=cos(2*theta), so it should be pretty clear you are going to get the same result on each of those two intervals.

Are you sure that the substitution is as you wrote it? That seems to be what you actually used.

Assuming that's the case, you'll get r2 = cos2(theta) - sin2(theta) = cos(2theta).

Oh no!
You are right.
The substitution I wrote is a mistake.
I will edit my post to fix that.

1. What is a double integral for area evaluation?

A double integral for area evaluation is a mathematical concept used to find the area of a region in a two-dimensional space. It involves evaluating a function over a specific region by integrating it with respect to two variables, typically x and y.

2. How is a double integral for area evaluation different from a single integral?

A single integral is used to find the area under a curve, while a double integral is used to find the area of a region in a two-dimensional space. A double integral integrates a function over a specific region, whereas a single integral integrates a function over an interval on a single axis.

3. What is the process for evaluating a double integral for area?

The process for evaluating a double integral for area involves setting up the integral with the correct limits of integration, integrating the function with respect to one variable, and then integrating again with respect to the other variable. The result of the double integral is the area of the region.

4. Are there any shortcuts or tricks for evaluating double integrals for area?

Yes, there are some techniques that can make evaluating double integrals for area easier. These include using symmetry to simplify the integral, changing the order of integration, and using polar coordinates for certain types of regions.

5. What are some practical applications of double integrals for area evaluation?

Double integrals for area evaluation have various practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. They can be used to find the center of mass of a two-dimensional object, calculate the work done by a force over a specific area, and determine the probability of a certain event occurring in a given region.