1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Double integral for area evaluation

1. Jun 2, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Use an appropriate double integral and the substitution

[tex] y = br\sin \theta \text{\ \ \ } x = ar\cos \theta [/tex]

to calculate the bounded area inside the curve:

[tex] {\left( \frac{x^2}{a^2} + \frac{y^2}{b^2} \right)}^2 = \frac{x^2}{a^2} - \frac{y^2}{b^2} [/tex]

(you can assume that [tex] a,b > 0 [/tex])

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I began with the substitution and I got the following representation of the curve:
    [tex] r = \sqrt{ \cos^2 \theta - \sin^2 \theta } [/tex].

That means that [tex]0 \leq r \leq \sqrt{ \cos^2 \theta - \sin^2 \theta } [/tex].

Now I have to find from where to where [tex] \theta [/tex] goes. But according to the polar representation I get a very segmented range which is:

[tex] 0 \leq \theta \leq \pi / 4 \text{\ \ \ } 7\pi / 4 \leq \theta \leq 2\pi \text{\ \ \ } 3\pi / 4 \leq \theta \leq 5\pi / 4 [/tex]

And this is a problem because I need [tex] \theta [/tex] to range in a continuous range. So it can be used as a boundaries of an integral.

So what should I do?

Edit:
    Fixed substitution. It was x = [tex] br\cos \theta [/tex] instead of what it is now.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 2, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can integrate over the ranges separately and then add them. No law against that. It might be easier to do two ranges [-pi/4,pi/4] and [3pi/4,5pi/4] rather than three. You might also notice your r^2=cos(2*theta), so it should be pretty clear you are going to get the same result on each of those two intervals.

4. Jun 2, 2009 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Are you sure that the substitution is as you wrote it? That seems to be what you actually used.

Assuming that's the case, you'll get r2 = cos2(theta) - sin2(theta) = cos(2theta).

5. Jun 2, 2009 #4
    Oh no!
    You are right.
    The substitution I wrote is a mistake.
    I will edit my post to fix that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook