1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Double Integral Over General Region

1. Nov 4, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

1. Find the volume of the solid which is under the surface z = 2x + y2 and above the region bounded by x = y^2 and x = y^3.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

So first I graphed x=y^3 and x=y^2. (http://h.imagehost.org/view/0716/Math_Problem [Broken])
    I found their points of intersection (y=1 or y =0).
    Set up double integral as Integral from 0 to 1 Integral from y^2 to y^3 of (2x+y^2) dx dy
    where y^2<x<y^3 and 0<y<1

I calculated the integral and got 1/7 plus 1/6 minus 2/5

Is my work correct?

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2009 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Your answer is almost right; your sign is wrong. It should be 2/5 - 1/7 - 1/6 = 19/210
    For each horizontal strip, the left boundary is x = y^3 and the right boundary is x = y^2. You have them reversed in your inner integral, which gives you the opposite sign.

4. Nov 4, 2009 #3
    Based on your picture, shouldn't it be [tex]y=x^3[/tex] and [tex] x=y^2[/tex]?

However, if you did write the equations correctly, then you've drawn the region wrong.

5. Nov 4, 2009 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

vandyboy's graph for x = y^3 is incorrect. He has actually drawn the graph of y = x^3.

6. Nov 4, 2009 #5
    Oops. Yeah I just noticed that. thanks guys

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook