1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Double Integral problem! What am I suppose to do? Related to polar coordinates.

1. Nov 7, 2011 #1
    The problem and my work is shown in the image below. However, I feel like I did something horrible wrong but I'm not sure where!

24xjrl5.jpg

I'm sorry if my handwriting is illegible. If you're having difficulties please leave a comment and I will not hesitate to type it out as a response. Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

Thank you for taking the time to review my question.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2011 #2
    You've got [itex]\theta[/itex] ranging from [itex]0[/itex] to [itex]cos(\theta)[/itex], that doesn't make any sense. I'm fairly sure you should have [itex]\theta[/itex] going from [itex]0[/itex] to [itex]\frac{\pi}{4}[/itex]. Which you'll be able to see if you draw a picture of [itex]R[/itex].

4. Nov 7, 2011 #3
    I don't know how to draw 0 <= y <= x. I think that might be part of my problem...

I did something wrong though when using pi/2! The answer is 3/64 pi^2 but I keep getting 3/16 pi^2! Why is my denominator 4x less than the answer? Here's my work.

∫(1 -> 2) ∫(0 -> pi/2) θr drdθ
    1/2 ∫(1 -> 2) θ(r^2)(0 -> pi/2) dθ
    1/2 ∫(1 -> 2) θ(pi^2)/4 dθ
    (pi^2)/8 ∫(1 -> 2) θ dθ
    (pi^2)/16 (θ^2)(1 -> 2)
    (pi^2)/16 (2^2 - 1^1)
    (pi^2)/16 (4 - 1)
    (pi^2)/16 (3)
    3/16 pi^2

Any insight on what I did wrong?

5. Nov 7, 2011 #4
    Ah I think I didn't edit my post in time then, the upper limit should have been [itex]\frac{\pi}{4}[/itex], sorry. Your method is fine.

And just draw the lines [itex]y=0[/itex] and [itex]y=x[/itex] and you should be able to see where [itex]y[/itex] satisfies [itex]0{\leq}y{\leq}x[/itex]. Or think about it this way, where does [itex](x,y)[/itex] satisfy [itex]0{\leq}y[/itex] and where does it satisfy [itex]y{\leq}x[/itex]. Then you just find the intersection of those two areas.

6. Nov 7, 2011 #5
    Thank you so much, not just on this problem but on future problem to come! I never thought of visualizing it that way!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook