Double Integral in Polar Coordinates Symmetry Issue

In summary, the homework statement states that V = -8a^3/3, where the right answer is V = -8a^3/3 - 32a^3/9.
wadawalnut

Homework Statement

Find the volume of the solid lying inside both the sphere [itex]x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = 4a^2[/itex] and the cylinder [itex]x^2 + y^2 = 2ay[/itex] above the xy plane.

Homework Equations

Polar coordinates:
[tex] r^2 = x^2 + y^2 [/tex]
[tex] x = r\cos(\theta)[/tex]
[tex] y = r\sin(\theta)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So I tried this problem and got it almost perfectly correct. My result was: [itex]V = \frac{8\pi a^3}{3}[/itex], and the right answer is [itex]V = \frac{8\pi a^3}{3} - \frac{32 a^3}{9} [/itex], so I'm just missing one term. The first thing that crossed my mind was that one of my integrals evaluated to 0, so obviously that's where I went wrong. I checked the solution and noticed the only difference from my work was that the book solution used symmetry and integrated [itex]\theta[/itex] from 0 to [itex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex], and I just integrated from 0 to [itex]\pi[/itex]. This is what I did:
[itex]x^2 + y^2 = 2ay[/itex] describes a cylinder with a circle base that is centered at (0,a) and has radius a. Therefore, this cylinder lies entirely in the first and second quadrants, where [itex]\theta[/itex] ranges from [itex](0,\pi)[/itex]. Using cylindrical coordinates, the sphere has the equation [itex] z = \sqrt{4a^2 - r^2} [/itex] and the cylinder has the equation [itex] r^2 = 2ar\sin(\theta) [/itex], or [itex] r = 2a\sin(\theta)[/itex].
[tex] V = \int_{0}^{\pi}\int_{0}^{2a\sin(\theta)}\sqrt{4a^2 - r^2}rdrd\theta[/tex]
Making the substitution [itex] u = 4a^2 - r^2, du = -2rdr[/itex]
[tex] V = \frac{-1}{2} \int_{0}^{\pi}\int_{r = 0}^{r = 2a\sin(\theta)}\sqrt{u}dud\theta[/tex]
[tex] V = \frac{-1}{3} \int_{0}^{\pi}(4a^2 - r^2)^{3/2}\bigg|_{0}^{2a\sin(\theta)}d\theta[/tex]
[tex] V = \frac{-1}{3} \int_{0}^{\pi}\left[(4a^2(1 - sin^2(\theta))^{3/2} - (4a^2)^{3/2}\right]d\theta[/tex]
[tex] V = \frac{-1}{3} \int_{0}^{\pi}\left[(4a^2)^{3/2}(cos^2(\theta))^{3/2} - 8a^3\right]d\theta[/tex]
[tex] V = \frac{-8a^3}{3} \int_{0}^{\pi}cos^3(\theta)d\theta + \frac{8\pi a^3}{3}[/tex]
Now, the remaining integral evaluates to 0 because it will be a function of [itex]\sin(\theta)[/itex] where [itex]\theta \in (0,\pi)[/itex].

I see that if I were to use symmetry like it was done in the book ([itex] \theta \in (0,\frac{\pi}{2})[/itex]) and multiply everything by 2, my integral should return the right answer. I just don't understand why what I did was wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Always bear in mind the possibility that the book answer may be wrong.

The integration over ##\theta## only happens in your last step. So the two methods should be the same up to there. Prior to that integration, your formula is (simplifying a bit):

$$
V = \frac{8a^3}{3} \int_{0}^{\pi}\left[(1-\cos^3\theta\right]d\theta
$$
Theirs should be
$$V = 2\cdot \frac{8a^3}{3} \int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}}\left[(1-\cos^3\theta\right]d\theta$$

Does their formula match that?

By the way, note that the integrand is not symmetric around ##\theta=\frac{\pi}{2}##. It is not the case that the integral over ##[0,\pi]## is twice the integral over ##[0,\frac{\pi}{2}]##.

wadawalnut said:
[tex] V = \frac{-1}{3} \int_{0}^{\pi}\left[(4a^2)^{3/2}(cos^2(\theta))^{3/2} - 8a^3\right]d\theta[/tex]
[tex] V = \frac{-8a^3}{3} \int_{0}^{\pi}cos^3(\theta)d\theta + \frac{8\pi a^3}{3}[/tex]
Now, the remaining integral evaluates to 0 because it will be a function of [itex]\sin(\theta)[/itex] where [itex]\theta \in (0,\pi)[/itex].

I see that if I were to use symmetry like it was done in the book ([itex] \theta \in (0,\frac{\pi}{2})[/itex]) and multiply everything by 2, my integral should return the right answer. I just don't understand why what I did was wrong.

Note that $$(\cos^2\theta)^{\frac 3 2}= \left(\sqrt{\cos^2\theta}\right)^3 = |\cos\theta|^3\ne \cos^3\theta$$

Last edited:
LCKurtz said:
Note that $$(\cos^2\theta)^{\frac 3 2}= \left(\sqrt{\cos^2\theta}\right)^3 = |\cos\theta|^3\ne \cos^3\theta$$
Ahhhh that's why...
Forgot about those sneaky absolute values. So I would have to split it up into an integral from 0 to pi/2 and a negative one from pi/2 to pi, right?
That explains why the book was so quick to use symmetry, otherwise the symmetry wouldn't have been all that helpful.
Thanks a lot for the help.

1. What is a double integral in polar coordinates?

A double integral in polar coordinates is a mathematical concept used to calculate the area under a curve in two-dimensional polar coordinates. It is similar to a regular double integral, but instead of using rectangular coordinates (x and y), it uses polar coordinates (r and θ).

2. How is the symmetry issue addressed in double integrals in polar coordinates?

The symmetry issue in double integrals in polar coordinates is addressed by using the concept of symmetry about the polar axis. This means that if the function being integrated has symmetry about the polar axis, the integral can be simplified by only integrating over half of the polar region and then multiplying the result by two.

3. What is meant by symmetry about the polar axis?

Symmetry about the polar axis refers to the property of a function where it remains unchanged when reflected across the polar axis. In other words, if the function has the same value at the same distance from the polar axis on each side, it is said to have symmetry about the polar axis. This allows for simplification of the double integral in polar coordinates.

4. How do you determine the limits of integration for double integrals in polar coordinates?

The limits of integration for double integrals in polar coordinates can be determined by first plotting the region of integration on a polar graph. The inner and outer limits of integration are then determined by the minimum and maximum values of the radial coordinate (r) within the given region. The limits for the angle (θ) are determined by the boundaries of the given region.

5. What are some real-life applications of double integrals in polar coordinates?

Double integrals in polar coordinates have various real-life applications, such as calculating the mass and center of mass of an object with a circular or cylindrical shape, determining the area of a sector or segment in a circle, and solving problems in electrostatics and fluid mechanics. They are also used in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.