Double Integrals: Where am I making a mistake?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the volume of a solid under the paraboloid z = x^2 + y^2 and above the region bounded by y = x^2 and x = y^2. The solution method involves setting up a double integral and using the given boundaries to evaluate it. However, a mistake is made in the evaluation process, resulting in the incorrect answer being obtained.
kostoglotov

Homework Statement

Find the volume of the solid.

Under the paraboloid z = x^2 + y^2 and above the region bounded by y = x^2 and x = y^2

Well, those curves only intersects in the xy-plane at (0,0) and (1,1), and in the first Quadrant, and in that first Quadrant y = sqrt(x), and over that interval sqrt(x) >= x^2

So here is my working.

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex] \int \int_D (x^2+y^2) dA = \int_0^1 \int_{x^2}^{\sqrt(x)} x^2+y^2 dy dx [/tex]

[tex] \int_{x^2}^{\sqrt(x)} x^2+y^2 dy = \left[ yx^2+\frac{y^3}{3} \right]_{x^2}^{\sqrt(x)} [/tex]

[tex] = x^{1/5} + \frac{x^{1/3}}{3} - x^4 - \frac{x^6}{3} [/tex]

then

[tex] \int_0^1 x^{1/5} + \frac{x^{1/3}}{3} - x^4 - \frac{x^6}{3} dx = \left[\frac{5}{6}x^{5/6} + \frac{x^{4/3}}{4} - \frac{x^5}{5} - \frac{x^7}{21}\right]_0^1[/tex]

[tex] = \frac{5}{6} + \frac{1}{4} - \frac{1}{5} - \frac{1}{21} = \frac{117}{140} [/tex]

But the textbook gives the answer as [tex] \frac{6}{35} [/tex]

I can't figure out where I have gone wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
kostoglotov said:

Homework Statement

Find the volume of the solid.

Under the paraboloid z = x^2 + y^2 and above the region bounded by y = x^2 and x = y^2

Well, those curves only intersects in the xy-plane at (0,0) and (1,1), and in the first Quadrant, and in that first Quadrant y = sqrt(x), and over that interval sqrt(x) >= x^2

So here is my working.

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex] \int \int_D (x^2+y^2) dA = \int_0^1 \int_{x^2}^{\sqrt(x)} x^2+y^2 dy dx [/tex]

[tex] \int_{x^2}^{\sqrt(x)} x^2+y^2 dy = \left[ yx^2+\frac{y^3}{3} \right]_{x^2}^{\sqrt(x)} [/tex]

[tex] = x^{1/5} + \frac{x^{1/3}}{3} - x^4 - \frac{x^6}{3} [/tex]
I have no idea how you got this last .line. [itex]yx^2+ \frac{y^3}{3}[/itex] evaluated at [itex]y= x^{1/2}[/itex] is
[itex](x^{1/2}x^2+ \frac{(x^{1/2})^3}{3}= x^{5/2}+ \frac{x^{3/2}}{3}[/itex],, NOT "[itex]x^{1/5}+ \frac{x^{1/3}}{3}[/itex].

then

[tex] \int_0^1 x^{1/5} + \frac{x^{1/3}}{3} - x^4 - \frac{x^6}{3} dx = \left[\frac{5}{6}x^{5/6} + \frac{x^{4/3}}{4} - \frac{x^5}{5} - \frac{x^7}{21}\right]_0^1[/tex]

[tex] = \frac{5}{6} + \frac{1}{4} - \frac{1}{5} - \frac{1}{21} = \frac{117}{140} [/tex]

But the textbook gives the answer as [tex] \frac{6}{35} [/tex]

I can't figure out where I have gone wrong.
[/QUOTE]

Likes berkeman and kostoglotov
HallsofIvy said:
I have no idea how you got this last .line. [itex]yx^2+ \frac{y^3}{3}[/itex] evaluated at [itex]y= x^{1/2}[/itex] is
[itex](x^{1/2}x^2+ \frac{(x^{1/2})^3}{3}= x^{5/2}+ \frac{x^{3/2}}{3}[/itex],, NOT "[itex]x^{1/5}+ \frac{x^{1/3}}{3}[/itex].
[/QUOTE]

Yep, I'm tired. I just realized what I did wrong after running it through MATLAB...I really should just take a break and come back to it, before hastily posting here. Sorry :P

1. What is a double integral?

A double integral is a type of integral that is used to find the volume under a surface in three-dimensional space. It involves performing two integrals, one after the other, and is represented by a single integral symbol with two variables.

2. How do I know if I have made a mistake in my double integral?

If you are trying to solve a double integral and your answer does not match the expected result, it is likely that you have made a mistake. You may have made an error in your calculation, or you may have set up the integral incorrectly.

3. What are common mistakes when solving double integrals?

Some common mistakes when solving double integrals include forgetting to change the limits of integration, integrating with respect to the wrong variable, or forgetting to include a constant in the final answer.

4. How can I avoid making mistakes when solving double integrals?

To avoid making mistakes when solving double integrals, it is important to carefully check your work and make sure you have set up the integral correctly. It can also be helpful to break down the problem into smaller, simpler steps and to double check your calculations.

5. Are there any common tricks or techniques for solving double integrals?

Yes, there are several techniques that can be used to solve double integrals, such as using symmetry to simplify the integral, changing the order of integration, and using substitution. It is also helpful to have a good understanding of the properties of integrals and how they can be applied in different situations.