Double Integrals: Evaluate I for Domain D

• Thread starter splelvis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrals
In summary, the conversation discusses the evaluation of an integral given by dxdy/(x^2+y^2)^(1/2) over a specific domain, with a question about the appropriate limits for the integral. The suggestion is made to use polar coordinates for this problem.
splelvis
to evaluate the integral:

I=dxdy/(x^2+y^2)^(1/2)

over domain D:
given by 1<=x^2+y^2<=4.

what should i take the limits to integral?
dx and dy

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi splelvis! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(have a square-root: √ and try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
splelvis said:
… over domain D:
given by 1<=x^2+y^2<=4.

what should i take the limits to integral?
dx and dy

One of the limits will be -2 to 2 … let's say for y.

Then just look at the graph …

for a fixed value of y, what does x go from and to? :smile:

thank you i got that

Hello,
I think polar coordinates is a good choice for this one. :)

1. What are double integrals?

Double integrals are mathematical tools used to calculate the volume, area, and mass of three-dimensional objects or surfaces. They involve integrating a function of two variables over a specific region in the x-y plane.

2. How do you evaluate a double integral?

The process of evaluating a double integral involves first determining the limits of integration for both variables, setting up the integral using the appropriate formula, and then solving the integral using techniques such as substitution or integration by parts.

3. What is the difference between a single and double integral?

A single integral is used to calculate the area under a curve in one dimension, while a double integral is used to calculate the volume or area under a surface in two dimensions. Single integrals have one variable of integration, while double integrals have two.

4. What is the significance of the domain in a double integral?

The domain in a double integral refers to the region of the x-y plane over which the integration is being performed. It determines the limits of integration and can greatly affect the value of the integral. It is important to carefully define the domain in order to accurately evaluate a double integral.

5. Can a double integral be evaluated for any type of function?

Yes, a double integral can be evaluated for any type of function as long as it is defined over the specified domain. However, some functions may be more difficult to integrate than others and may require more advanced techniques to evaluate.