Double pendulum - solving with energy and Simulink

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Simulink to graphically represent differential equations. The speaker encountered an issue with a double pendulum on a cart due to neglecting friction and damping effects. They were able to solve the problem by summing energies and differentiating with respect to time. However, when creating a Simulink model, they faced difficulty in solving for second order derivatives as it required dividing by first order derivatives, which can be zero. The suggestion was made to use the Lagrangian and Euler-Lagrange equations to isolate the variables, and a link was provided for further reference.
aaddcc
Hi everyone,

I am trying to familiarize myself with Simulink by graphically drawing out differential equations, but ran into a snag with a double pendulum on a cart. Anyways, I neglect friction or other damping effects and say that

NfjXqjv.png

From there I simply just sum the energies, which ends up as:

BA9AeIJ.png

And then differentiating with respect to time ends up with:

OpX823N.png

This seemed fine to me, and I started creating my Simulink model. The way that works is I have a loop with each variable connecting to each other in a certain way (i.e. xddot = stuff, thetaddot = other stuff). The issue is, when solving for any of the second order derivatives it is necessary to divide by the first order derivative. For example, to solve for the acceleration of x it is necessary to divide by the velocity of x. What if the velocity happens to be zero? In that case my Simulink model fails.

I did it with energy because it seemed a lot easier. Is there any other way to isolate the variables without dividing by terms like velocity which could be zero?

It might be easier to form the Lagrangian and just use the Euler-Lagrange equations and put those differential equations in Simulink. I've done some Simulink models for control systems of inverted pendulums and haven't had any problems separating out the double derivatives in matrix form.

This link contains all the derivations, so hopefully you can just plug it in and get something:
http://scienceworld.wolfram.com/physics/DoublePendulum.html

Hope that helps!

1. What is a double pendulum?

A double pendulum is a simple mechanical system consisting of two pendulums connected by a joint. It is a classic example of a chaotic system and exhibits complex, non-linear behavior.

2. How is the double pendulum solved using energy?

The double pendulum can be solved using the principle of conservation of energy. The total energy of the system (kinetic + potential) remains constant throughout its motion. This energy can be expressed in terms of the initial conditions and can be used to solve for the position and velocity of the pendulums at any given time.

3. What is Simulink and how is it used to solve the double pendulum?

Simulink is a software tool used for modeling, simulating, and analyzing dynamic systems. It uses block diagrams to represent the system and allows for easy integration of mathematical models. In the case of the double pendulum, Simulink can be used to simulate the motion of the pendulums and visualize their behavior.

4. Can the double pendulum be accurately modeled using the principles of energy and Simulink?

While the principles of energy and Simulink provide a good approximation of the behavior of a double pendulum, it is important to note that the system is highly sensitive to initial conditions and small errors in the model can lead to significant differences in the predicted behavior. Therefore, the accuracy of the model depends on the level of detail and precision in the initial conditions and the model itself.

5. What are some applications of understanding the behavior of a double pendulum?

The study of the double pendulum has applications in various fields such as physics, mathematics, and engineering. It can be used to understand chaotic systems, stability of structures, and nonlinear dynamics. It also has practical applications in fields such as robotics, where the movement and control of multiple jointed systems can be modeled using the principles of the double pendulum.