1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Downward Acceleration

1. Sep 18, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    You plan on throwing an egg at someone from the roof. You throw the egg downward at 2.0 m/s from a height of 10.0 m above the person's head. The person walks toward the building at 1.25 m/s. How far from the building should the person be when you throw it?

2. Relevant equations

V= delta x/ delta t

3. The attempt at a solution

delta t = 5 seconds

delta x =(1.25 m/s)(5 seconds)

They should be 6.25 m from the building.

Could someone please doublecheck this for me?
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2008 #2
    If the 2.0 m/s is an initial velocity, the egg would be accelerating downward and the time it takes to traverse the 10m distance would be much less than 5 seconds.
  4. Sep 18, 2008 #3
    Thanks for the reply. I tried re-evaluating this using v final squared = v initial squared +2at
    and v final = v initial + at

and came up with a time of 1.23 s.

Is this correct? I'm not sure if I should use -9.8 or 9.8 for the acceleration of gravity.
  5. Sep 18, 2008 #4
    Since the egg is traveling in the same direction the gravitational force is acting, the acceleration will be a positive value for this case. Just be careful for future problems as direction is a key factor for the sign of the acceleration value. A way to think of it is the egg is being thrown downward therefore the acceleration will increase the velocity, so the equation should match this property. I believe you have come up with the correct time.
  6. Sep 18, 2008 #5
    Gotcha. Thanks so much for your help.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?